110

Although it was a political marriage, the union between Joanna I of Castile and Philip “the Handsome” of Burgundy was one of passion, albeit lopsided passion.

By all accounts, Philip was into Joanna, but just not enough to stay faithful.

Unfortunately, Joanna was really into Philip.

When Philip’s mistress had the misfortune of crossing paths with his wife, Joanna apparently snapped and hacked the other woman’s hair off with scissors.

Still unsatisfied with the ‘do, Jo then stabbed her in the face.

But it gets worse.

When Philip died, Joanna refused to let him go. Literally.

Refusing to part with her philandering husband, she viciously clung to the body.

Even when her father and the government stepped in to finally bury Philip, their separation did not last long.

Joanna ordered him exhumed, leapt at his coffin, and kissed his dead feet.

From that moment on, you couldn’t have Joanna if she couldn’t bring Philip.

The coffin—thankfully closed most of the time—would accompany her to meals, travels, and even her bedside.

Only years later did Philip return to the ground, albeit at a safe distance, i.e., buried right outside of her window.

On the bright side, Joanna’s cheating husband was finally all hers.