CURSED Part 1

Aratwa woke up from her deep sleep yawning,awakened by  a scraping noise on what felt like wood.She cast her eyes wearily on the  heavy door and stared as a body began to form in the semi  darkness.It seemed to float toward her as she stared transfixed.The dark person-like thing descended on her chest and she surprisingly could not manage to utter a sound.Her heart thundered in chest,her mind now fully conscious and aware.The thing, though it looked human,had no ears,with a wide gaping hole where the mouth should have been,from which a forked tongue hang.No sound escaped from her mouth,though she tried screaming,noticing the heaviness in her limbs as she tried to wrestle from underneath the creature.

The thing sat on her,gnarling as its soulless eyes locked eyes with her.Even as she tried closing her eyes,she still found herself looking on its  dark,bottomless eyes.Her mind in disarray,her soul held captive by the dark force of the creature,she felt herself slipping down,descending down a hole.Fighting physically proved futile.She tried closing her mind off and started having shortness of breath.It was as if someone had wrapped their very strong hands around her neck and squeezed,each time she tried to clear her mind and focus.From a faraway place in her murky mind,Psalms chapter 23 began to form and she focused."the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want". A Squeeze on her windpipe."Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I fear no evil!" She felt the hands on her neck slipping and raised her voice." For you are with me,your rod and staff,they comfort me". The creature started to fade,howling,its dark eyes flaming." you prepare a table before me,in the presence of my enemies,you anoint my head with oil,my cup overflows!"Aratwa now regaining strength loudly prayed,tears running down her face.

Something poured water on her face and she leapt up,finding the room lit and her dorm mates surrounding her.Her breath coming in short and ragged,she looked around bewildered."Rati!wake up,wake up!,"her best friend Sego shook her roughly,and helped her sit up.She held her as she shook,still regaining her breath."You can come slep with me,and we should pray,I think you had a nightmare,"she added,her voice layered with concern.Bonolo,the girl who slept on the top bunk offered her a glass of water from the 5 litre container they kept in the dorm.She wiped her face and took of her t shirt,which was soaked  and Sego helped her to her bed."Alright everyone!back to bed!",the dorm monitor Bokamoso said as she switched off the lights.

Laying on their tummies,Sego and Aratwa whispered the Lord's prayer and settled into the bed.Even as she would admit that she felt safer after praying,she had difficulty falling back  to sleep,still unable to shake off an uneasy feeling,not quite at peace and found herself reciting Pslam 23 till she drifted off to sleep.