Chapter 10

The world seems to slow down as Sang makes her way up the ladder, towards me. Her ominous crawl chilling my bones, every creek of a faulty rung jars my heartbeat out of time as it drums on my rib cage. My eyes widen in horror as she faces me, cruel grin splitting her beautiful face in half. She loves scaring me.

"Sang!" Mother calls "Sang come here right now! Sang!"

The grin on my sisters face is instantly replaced by a scowl, her fun ruined by mother. She retreats down the ladder but not without leaving a parting gift "don't worry Iris. I won't forget what you have done." Her threat lingers in the air as I sit, stunned.

I have got to remember to keep my mouth shut. I must never speak out of turn again.

My heartbeat refuses to slow and my mind continues to race, so instead of staring blankly at the dusty, cobweb covered ceiling, I read more of my favourite book. And then I briefly forget my woes, a moment of paradise lived through the pages of a battered book.

~~~

I wake to the sound of birds chirping and sunlight streaming through cracks between the attics wooden planks. For a moment I lay peacefully on my worn, old mattress until the realisation dawns upon me. My morning chores haven't been completed...

I jump out of bed, and desperately pull on some clothes, a baggy pair of joggers and a massively oversized T-shirt. And then sprint out of the attic and down the ladder.

The house, however is unusually quiet. The only sound I can hear are mothers occasional snores and mutterings. I cautiously perform my tasks and make breakfast, then wait anxiously.

Soon enough mother wakes up, summoned by the smell of bacon and eggs, and sits at the table. I serve her food and wait for further instructions.

"You're sisters aren't here today, so you can clean without distraction or obstacles. I expect the entire hours to shine by the time they come back. Eat the scraps then start your chores. You have three minutes to eat, then get to work." Mother then stands and leaves the table. I eat the remains of the breakfast and then clear everything up. Afterwards I start on deep cleaning the house, staying focused on my task with the assistance of my favourite playlist, however I can tell that this will be a very long day.

~~~

I seem to gravitate to the woods now, weather it is the calming sound of the wind caressing the leaves on the trees and scattered upon the ground, or the prospect of bumping into one of those boys again, I'm not entirely sure. One thing I am sure about is that its so much better out here than at home. If I can call it that. This has been my life for as long as I can remember, I've never dared dream of escape, however the more books I read and the more walks I take, the more I realise how much I don't like my life. I want things. Adventure, friendship, love, I want to experience it all. Will I ever get the chance?

My thoughts are interrupted by someone calling my name. At first I freeze, assuming the worst aka Sang,  however as the voice approaches I recognise it. Kota! I turn around, a little to fast, its not been too long since my last friendly dose of human contact, but it feels like decades. A nervous smile appears on my face and I look down at my bare feet, shuffling them in the dirt. I forgot my shoes.

"Hey Iris" Kota says softly, however I sense a questioning tone underneath, he seems curious about something.

"H-Hi Kota" I reply, slowly.

"Do you mind if I ask you a question?" He requests carefully, as if he is trying not to scare off a wounded animal.

"N-not a-a-at all" I reply, slightly scared and very curious.

"Why weren't you at school with your sisters today? Are you going to a different school?" He asks genuinely curious.

"Erm, n-no" I reply, equally carefully. I don't think it's normal to never have been to school. Should I tell the truth? That I've never been?

"Why weren't you there?" He asks again.

"W-w-well I-I'm n-not r-r-really going t-to school." I cringe at my answer. Way to seem normal.

"What do you mean? Are you being home schooled then?" His curiosity seems to only increase with each answer I give.

"Erm w-well no" I reply feeling anxiety bubbling through me, screw being normal. "I've a-actually n-n-never b-been to s-school"

"Why not?" He asks, curiosity reaching a peak.

"W-well, I-I don't r-really know a-actually"

~~~

Hey, sorry it's been so long! I hope you enjoyed this update, please comment and vote if you did!
Byeee x