🧵 Six: I Ain't Sayin' She a Sly Digger

Guess who transferred into my history class...ARLO! He's now Mrs. Piccola's aide. He does absolutely nothing except flirt with girls and grades our homework. Of course, he has to circle everything I did wrong in bright red, and he always makes sure my paper is on top, so when it gets passed around class, everyone sees. Ugh. What a turd. He follows me around like a bad smell I can't rid of. How do I get rid of him, Freddy?? HOW?! Maybe I need to come up with an Arlo repellent heavy on the REPEL. -Georgie aka Alexx

Alex scooped a small portion of carrots onto her plate and passed the bowl to her mom

Alex scooped a small portion of carrots onto her plate and passed the bowl to her mom. She frowned at Alex's tiny hill and added until it was a mountain. "So yeah," Alex continued, holding back a shudder. Finishing the carrots would be easier if they had a dog. Not that there was much room for one. They were squeezed in a little nook by the kitchen. Alex had to shuffle sideways to even get to her seat. "It's pretty neat Keya thought of me."

Her mom smiled, pride shining in her eyes. "That's wonderful, sweetheart."

Her dad, still in his blue nursing scrubs, cut into his chicken. "You're going to do it, aren't you?"

Alex hesitated. "Well—"

"What about the Playhouse auditions tomorrow?" her mom asked. "Am I not driving you there?"

Alex stabbed a carrot with her fork and sighed. "I'm still going. I haven't said I'd take Keya up on her offer." Although it was tempting—very, very tempting. It even invaded her dreams, taunting her with a standing ovation as faceless bodies praised her for her designs.

Her mom frowned. "Why wouldn't you? You're talented. You deserve to show off your skills."

"Because it'd be betraying Georgie. I can't do that."

Her parents exchanged looks that had her hackles rising. Glances like that were never a good sign.

"Sweetie," her mom started with that calm and gentle voice that always meant Alex was going to hate whatever she was going to say. "We're glad you have a strong friendship, but that doesn't mean it gets to dictate your life. You can pursue your own hobbies. Have your own goals."

Was that really what they thought about her? Defensive and a bit hurt, Alex said, "You make it sound like I'm following her around like a clueless puppy. I happened to love musicals before I met Georgie. That's the reason we became friends. I was humming a Wicked song, and she overheard."

"We understand that all I'm saying is..." Her mom looked at her dad with big eyes.

He stepped in. "What we're saying is that you love different aspects of the theater and maybe it's time to pursue what you're passionate about. If Alexx wasn't at Playhouse would you join the high school club?"

Good question. She tapped the carrot against her lip.

"Well?" her dad pressed.

Alex bit the inside of her lip and slowly nodded. Keya offered her a dream role. In any other scenario, she'd jump at the chance.