🧵 Eleven: Make Me Feel Like I'm Living a Tan France Dream

Hugo overheard my dad telling me the story of how he met my mom and let's just say Hugo's verbal explosion rivaled that of a cannon. He went on and on about how I was betraying our family, but how is it a betrayal when mom IS our family? We share blood. I know, I know, she left us. It's an open wound that still stings but why can't Hugo understand, I'm a girl. And a girl needs her mother. Or at least needs to know about her. I deserve that much...right? -Georgie aka Alexx

PS. Have you asked Hugo about Ravi yet?

Alex gestured to the food on the counter

Alex gestured to the food on the counter. "Who are you feeding? The naval base?"

"Can never have too many leftovers." Hugo surveyed the mountain of cartons from Peking Palace and El Capitan Cantina and gave a sheepish grin. "Okay, maybe I went overboard, but I didn't know what you'd like so I ordered a little bit of everything." He handed her a plate and muttered, "I keep forgetting Lance isn't here to help demolish this."

Her mouth watered as she spooned carnitas onto a homemade tortilla. "How is Lance? Is he liking college so far?"

"Loving it." His nose scrunched as his mouth turned downward. "Before he left, he promised to come home for an occasional weekend, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon."

There was something in his voice. "You miss him."

He shrugged as he added food to his plate. "I didn't fully understand how much responsibility he took on. It's weird having it fall on me."

"What kind of responsibility?" As an only child, she was clueless about these types of things.

"Take tonight, for instance. Do you know how many types of children's cold medication there are?" Hugo shook his head in disbelief. "And even if you do find one, there are flavors to consider, and do you want drowsy or non-drowsy? It's like picking just one candy from Willy Wonka's stash, but ten times worse."

Hugo set his plate down and leaned his hip against the counter. "You'd think I'd know this, but when something serious happens, it's Lance who takes charge. Lance who shows us what to do, like a general." He blew out a breath, his bangs flying up. "Now that I'm the general..."

"Makes you appreciate him that much more."

Hugo gave a sharp nod. "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do it, I just hate that I need to in the first place."

So basically, Lance and Hugo were the parents of the family. Where was Mr. Lorde? She knew he worked a lot, but not to the extent that he'd let someone else take care of his sick kid. And why had Alexx never mentioned this? In fact, she did the opposite. She praised her dad. Said he was the best. Didn't sound like it from what Hugo was saying.

He motioned with his head toward the living room, and she followed. They put their plates and drinks on the coffee table and sat on the rug next to each other. He waited for her to eat before taking a bite.