The Monster That Died (not)

"Do you realize you're asking me to be a coward?" A cool fire burned in Clara's even colder, freezing eyes as she was staring at the African-American man sitting in front of her. She herself could admit being many things. Horrible, honourable and in-between. Coward was certainly not among them. If anything, it should have been the opposite.

"Nobody says that, Doc. You're thinking too much again. It's just another mission that needs to be accomplished."

"Missions are supposed to lift you up in others' eyes. Not make you lesser than dirt on their shoes."

"At this point, you definitely should stop feeding your own arrogance, Clara!" The sudden bark coming from Lucius's mouth took the woman by surprise. "For it's not worth the consequences. I give you an option, an easy way. Don't reject it just because of your pride speaking, because there is nothing better for you. Admit it, and take action."

For the past hour, they'd been talking. Shouting occasionally, but mainly just talking. Discussing, to be more specific. And the longer they kept doing that, the more infuriated Clara became. And although the cold fire in her steely eyes never eased, if you knew where you needed to look, you could see fear lingering underneath the charade of braveness. Unfiltered fear, the one seen only in the eyes of a soldier who is about to go on his last mission. Could this be her last mission?

Lucius heaved a sigh. A deep, calming one. Throwing a weighty, somewhat understanding look towards the stubborn woman, he slowly stood up. Their conversation was done, everything that had to be said already muttered. It was only up to a certain person to decide whether to take into account his words or remain in the dark nurturing wounded ego. And possibly lose herself completely.

Taking a different bag from underneath the table, a dark-coloured and made from a stiff, not see-through fabric, he put it on top. Clara's eyes were involuntarily drawn to the medium-sized object. Thanks to their previous discussion, she knew what was inside. The content of it offered sin among the walls of Arkham Asylum, as tempting as the forbidden apple, if not more. But was the price worth it? 

"Don't support your delusions, Clara. Once, they were the reality. But 'now' changes. To survive, you have to adapt. I wish you luck, for we will not meet again." With a final look, he gently touched the assassin's shoulder. A single squeeze sealed their meeting, consolidating the meaning behind their words. Without another word, the man moved around towards the exit. Opening the door, he nodded swiftly to the anxious male behind them and disappeared in the hall. For full two minutes, nothing but slow, steady breaths could be heard in the empty room.

"What was that about, Captain?" Upon hearing the low baritone, Clara blinked a little and closed her eyes, resting her head against the back of the chair. The sound broke her hypnotic staring at the wall. Ashwood had a tendency to pry into alien businesses that he could not fully comprehend, yet was interested in. 

"One day," A grave voice, much harsher than an hour earlier, reached the man. "you will lose your nose for sticking it so much where it does not belong." Ashwood smiled before nearing the woman. Clara felt him stop a few inches away. Unexpectedly, long, strong fingers touched her shoulders, feeling for the tense trapezius muscles, kneading them, releasing the pressure.

"Your accent is coming through. You might want to work on that." She felt a hot breath on her cheek, the touch not disappearing from her upper back. Clara deflated like a balloon, the stiffness running out, thanks to Ashwood's long digits working their magic.

Sometimes, she wished things were different. That she wouldn't be herself, and wouldn't have her principles, her knowledge, her... Everything. Life might be easier that way. She could appreciate all the little things around, take and give back without restraints. Without thinking. Without constantly seeing the invisible line between 'yes' and 'no', and actually having things that could be accepted without a second thought. What a life might that be! What opportunities! What prospects!