Chapter 11: Shelter from the Storm

While Zelda and Link seek refuge from the rain beneath a tree, she opens up to Link about her own doubts and the choices she has made.

*

It was only when Zelda felt the wall of the stone monument at her back that she came back to her senses; or, more accurately, when Link had pulled her back to them as soon as she let out the tiniest of accidental yelps as the cold, unyielding stone smacked her spine. He pushed his hand flat against the rock, pulling Zelda close to him as if he were holding back an assailant.

"You know, I'm not so easily broken," she said, her voice breathy and words deliberately suggestive.

"Don't start that," he said gruffly, dutifully dismissing any further temptations. The lowness of his voice, however, and the way his eyes flickered down from her own to her lips gave her the impression that he had only been partly successful. "We need to get back to Zora," he said, though made no attempt to move.

"We're in Zora."

"We need to get back to your room. You need to get back - you," he corrected, cheeks flushing so much that Zelda started to giggle helplessly, forehead pressed to his.

"Alright, faithful Knight. You can escort me back."

"You'll be the death of me," he muttered, humorously.

The words didn't mean that much to her then. She was still giddy from his touch.

In the morning, she knew something had shifted in the air. A scale had tipped, somewhere. The air felt crisper, and the sun brighter. Even the patterns on the polished floor seemed sharper. She felt like she had focus again.

Except she definitely didn't, not really, because if she didn't constantly check herself she would find her mind wandering and going straight to him and her eyes would inevitably follow. Link, standing by her side, was casually surveying their surroundings before his eyes caught hers. His smirk was minuscule, but it lit all the way up to his eyes; brighter than the sun on sea. She leaned in, perhaps to say something, perhaps to do something else, before pausing. She had forgotten where she was: in the Zora throne room, with King Dorephan at its helm. She stepped back abruptly, but noticed Link did not. That could be a problem, she thought. They'd both need faster reflexes if they wanted to keep those stolen moments stolen.

"Thank you for waiting, Princess Zelda," Dorephan said, settling into his throne with a few other sounds of general contentment as he positioned himself. "I had some other matters to attend to, but I do insist that I see you off. Not to mention Link, our little Hylian boy. Still quite little. Not sure why Mipha and the Goddess trust you so, I have to admit." He paused, resting his elbows on his knees so he could lean down from his throne. He stared hard. "And what of you, Princess, do you trust him?"

"Of course," she replied without hesitation. "I humbly ask that you do, too."

He leaned back. "And what of yourself? Do you trust in your abilities?"

She clasped her hands behind her back, hiding her clenched fists from his imposing, level gaze. "Yes," she lied. "Again, I must request that you do--"

"And yet, you ask my daughter to fight for you. Are you not enough? The dynamic duo of history and legend," he sounded almost teasing, like a belly-laugh lay low in his stomach and was about to erupt. "Forgive me, young Zelda," he said, easing the tension. "I can't help but worry about my daughter, though I trust her judgement. Despite her poor taste," he added as an aside. Zelda grimaced. So he knows about the armour. "Just as I can't help but recall Link as a child, using homemade bombs to fish. It worked," he acknowledged, sounding vaguely impressed, "But it damn near ruined my riverbanks. I hope that you have grown less reckless since then, Sir Link," he said, grinning and showing rows upon rows of sharp, pointed teeth. Though Mipha would inherit the throne, Sidon had gotten his father's aggressive charm. "Hero of Hyrule," he said, bestowing it like a blessing. "Princess Zelda. I'm honoured by your visit and I trust you, alongside my daughter, will protect us in the times to come. Give your father my regards, and safe journey to you both."