ᎬᏆᏩᎻᎢ

i set one of the plates in front of him and set my own down. after i seat myself, i study his face. his features are more accentuated in the dim lights around the yard and his eyes are sparkling. his jawline looks sharper, his dimples are cuter, his teeth are brighter... he's the epitome of perfect.

"thank you."

"um, what?"

he looks down, biting his lip and then his eyes dart back up to look at my face, hair hanging perfectly in his face, "you just said that i'm the epitome of perfect... or.. was i... not supposed to hear that..?"

i can feel a heat run through my face and i clear my throat, "i, uh. didn't mean for you to hear that, but it's true. and don't let anyone say otherwise." he blushes and smiles and looks back down at his hands.

"um, let's eat?"

he nods and looks down at his plate with excitement. "it looks great." he takes a bite. "oh my word, and it tastes even greater!"

"can i let you in on a little secret and promise you won't get mad?"

"what is it?"

"this is just some indian that i ordered in." he smiles at me, his cheeks a bit chubby from the food had in his mouth. he holds a fist to his mouth and swallows.

he smiles at me and puts his elbows on the edge of the table and rests his chin in his hands then smiles at me. "well, it's phenomenal food that you took five minutes to call in."

we both laugh and continue eating and getting to know each other.

🏳️‍🌈

we're sitting at the edge of the pool with only our feet dipped in, looking at the stars when dallon speaks up. "you mentioned a step-mom earlier... may i ask what happened?"

i look at him and bite my bottom lip and sigh.

"oh no, i'm so sorry, i don't mean to be nosy, i-"

"hey, it's fine. i... my real mom hates me for some reason, but i'm my dad's favorite, so she left. can you believe that? my own... my biological mother, the woman who gave birth to me, the woman that chose to have me! hates me." i fall silent for a second. "i occasionally write letters to her, but i don't visit. no use trying to be your mother's son if she hates you."

"brendon, i'm sorry..."

i smile and lean my head back. "it's fine. i love my dad and i love it here. my step-mom is someone in my life i have yet to get used to, but she's not bad either. she tries her hardest to be a good mother, and i admire her for that. she has her moments and weird quirks, like the thing with the chairs, but she's a good woman. you know spencer smith?"

he nods.

"he's my step-brother. the only step-sibling i have that i don't dislike greatly."

"oh, cool..."

we let silence take over until i decide to break it again. "what about your parents?"

"me? oh um... i have both... i have a mom and a dad.. they're so sweet. they actually split up for a little while, only a year or two. we were also.. ah, we were supposed to have a new addition a couple months ago, her name was going to be elle. but that didn't happen. miscarriages suck..."

i put my hand on his wrist gently. "oh my god, dallon. i'm so sorry."

"nah, it's fine. i mean, my mom and dad have been stupid depressed lately, but i can't help with much. i've decided that if i ever have a little girl, her name will be elle. to honor the little sister i never got to, ah... to have." it was then that i notice tears gathering in his eyes. he caught me looking out of the corner of his eye and turned to wipe the tears away. he sniffles and smiled at me. "anyways. we were going to catch something to watch?"

"oh, um... yeah, i. i have a lot of movies."

he nervously laughs, "i kind of meant at a theater... but here works too! i just need to be at my place before ten. ryan and i do this thing where we do an all night phone call on fridays. he gets all, um. crazy if i don't answer a call."

i tilt my head. "that's cute. funny, i also have a friend named ryan."

"really?"

"yeah. well- it's her middle name, but she hates her first name, so she goes by ryan. she's really precious and you will absolutely love her when you guys meet. spencer and j too."

he pulls his feet out of the pool and fully turns to me, "you want me to meet your friends?"

i shrug and nod. "well yeah, only if you want to though. but if i introduce you to them, that means i have to meet your friends."

"friend."

"what?"

he blinks at me blankly. "friend. singular. all my other friends moved away or are back in utah, so i only have ryan."

i look at him, then at the pool awkwardly. "oh."

🏳️‍🌈

i pull up to the curb in front of his house and walk him up to the front door. he turns around and smiles at me. "tonight was nice."

i smiled back and nod, "it was. we should do it again sometime."

"i'd like that. um..."

i stand patiently, waiting for him to finish what he was saying, but i'm taken aback by the small, innocent kiss placed on my cheek.

"goodnight, brendon urie." he gives me a small wave and a sheepish smile before entering his house and shutting the door.

i brush my fingertips over where he kissed me and a large grin spread over my face. i heard a small thump against the door and soft giggles shortly after and my smile grows impossible bigger.

with a spring in my step, i go back to my car and drive back home.

i had dinner with dallon weekes and he enjoyed it.

score.

🏳️‍🌈

fun fact: i'm improv-ing as this moves forward because i only remember bits of my original plot