Chapter Five: Black Magic Woman

Jo walked up to a nervous Cas. He knew right away that she was a warlock or wizard.

"Please, don't tell anyone. We didn't mean any harm. I didn't want to do this, but Dean convinced me to run away with him." Cas rambled.

Jo smirked. "So you're Hazel."

"W-what?" He stammered.

"Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me."

Cas sighed with relief. "Thank you so much. You won't regret it."

"Jo, this is Cas. Cas, this is Jo. She's the daughter of the Harvelle Clan leader." Dean introduced.

"So this is why you've been coming out here so often. Reading The Fault In Our Stars. Even though you've read it nine times already."

"Cas hasn't. I was, uh, reading it to him." Dean blushed.

"Aw. Adorable." She teased.

"Shut up." Dean smirked.

"So, you guys are on the lam?"

"Yes. Because of Merlin's Law." Cas answered.

"I am so sick of Merlin's Law. One of these days, I'd like to meet this Merlin."

Dean chuckled. "He's ancient. Probably long dead by now."

"According to legend, Merlin is immortal. If it's true, he's still alive."

"So, what, you wanna confront him? Make him change the Law? That's crazy talk."

"I'm in." Cas blurted.

Jo had a smug look on her face. "Two against one, Dean. We're off to see the wizard. The wonderful wizard of hell."

"How are we even supposed to find him?"

"Legend also has it that there's a spell. You must go to a crossroads in order for it to work. There are certain ingredients you'll need. When the spell is complete, they say you'll be granted a gemstone to lead your way."

"A gemstone? What kind of gemstone?"

"It's all Chinese whispers from there. Nothing is certain."

"You really think this'll work?"

"It's our best shot. You in?" Jo and Cas watched him expectantly. He couldn't handle Cas's puppy dog eyes, no matter how hard he tried.

"Fine. I'm in."

._.__._.

"The only redeeming facet of Support Group was this kid named Isaac, a long-faced, skinny guy with straight blond hair swept over one eye."

They decided they would begin the spell tomorrow. For now, Dean just wanted to read The Fault In Our Stars for his angel. They sat against a fallen tree.

"And his eyes were the problem. He had some fantastically improbable eye cancer. One eye had been cut out when he was a kid, and now he wore the kind of thick glasses that made his eyes (both the real one and the glass one) preternaturally huge, like his whole head was basically just this fake eye and this real eye staring at you. From what I could gather on the rare occasions when Isaac shared with the group, a recurrence had placed his remaining eye in mortal peril."

"Where's Augustus?" Cas demanded.

"We're almost there, I promise." Dean chuckled at his impatience.

"Isaac and I communicated almost exclusively through sighs. Each time someone discussed anticancer diets or snorting ground-up shark fin or whatever, he'd glance over at me and sigh ever so slightly. I'd shake my head microscopically and exhale in response. So Support Group blew, and after a few weeks, I grew to be rather kicking-and-screaming about the whole affair. In fact, on the Wednesday I made the acquaintance of Augustus Wa-"