buskers 🎤 pjm

BUSKERS
<preview>
Prologue for Buskers

Sweat tickles down my forehead as the sun angrily shines above us. Seoul can be very hot and humid during the summer, and today is no exception.

Along the busy buzz of people on the streets of Hongdae, soft music plays, accompanied by the sound of a beautiful, breathy voice, his melodic voice giving the hot day a refreshing feel, inviting a short breeze that cools us down even if it's just for a few seconds.

As the song comes to an end, the boy bows to the crowd and turns around to unplug his phone from the speaker. The crowd dissipates with a small round of applause and I immediately approach him, rummaging through my bag to hand him a bottle of water.

With a grateful nod, he gives me a small smile and mutters a quiet 'thanks', taking the bottle and almost chugging  the whole thing in one go.

"I saw more people stop by today," I say with a smile as my friend wipes his sweat away with a towel.

"Really?" He asks, his face brightening up at the comment. "I'm surprised," He adds, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. "Today is especially hot."

"Yeah. You don't say." I say wiping the sweat from my forehead with another towel, my lips curving into a smile as I watch him laugh at my comment.

"Since it's so hot today," he starts, "do you want to go get some ice cream? My treat!" He adds bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet, his bunny smile making it impossible to say no.

"I would love to get some ice cream."

"Awesome!" He says crushing the plastic bottle with his hands and throwing it in a nearby trash can as we walk by it. "Shall we head to our usual place?" He asks and I respond with a nod, adjusting the straps of my backpack which had started to slide off.

Our walk is mostly silent, with Jungkook humming a tune to himself, his doe eyes watching every other busker we pass by with interest and admiration, making us stop twice before we reach our destination.

Much to our dismay, the line is pretty long, considering it is one of the best ice cream places in Hongdae, but we know that it's worth the wait, so in the mean time, we watch a nearby busker dance away to the beat of the music on his speakers, mesmerizing the crowd with his every move, and in no time, it's our turn in line.

"Here you go," Jungkook says handing me the creamy chocolate ice cream with a smile.

"Thanks," I say taking the cup, tapping his shoulder to get his attention as I point to an empty table outside the shop. It's not our usual place, but at least it seems like the day has calmed a bit, sending a stronger breeze our way.

Jungkook, however has been quieter than usual, his gaze lost as we reach our table.

"Aigo," Jungkook softly sighs plopping down on his chair, his hand slightly tugging on the back on his hair. "I really wish I had money to give to some performers, they are really good." He says resting his cheek on his fist, a small pout on his lips as he absentmindedly pokes his ice cream.

So that's what's on his mind. I think to myself with a small smile.

"What did the ice cream ever do to you?" I ask trying to bring him back to his senses.