heart of gold 🌕 knj

"You're a ... shifter?
That is so cool!"

 shifter?That is so cool!"

note: <one shot>

Things had changed after the discovery of certain people as shifters. At first, no one really knew much about them, but as time passed and they became more prominent, each person was assigned to a shifter at birth, kind of like a soulmate of sorts I guess, except for me...

Life had decided that in my 23 years of existence, my shifter partner was nowhere to be seen, and people usually found each other by the age of fifteen, so to say I am late would be an understatement.

Not having a partner didn't affect me as much now, but it does have its disadvantages.

Once you find your partner, you become inseparable and complete each other, but you also get to go on fun quests.

The walls in my room are decorated with souvenirs from my friend's and family's different quests, but every time I looked at it, I couldn't help thinking that something is missing, and the feeling of wanting to add my own only grew with each passing day.

Maybe something happened to him and that's why we never met...

With those thoughts on my mind, I place the food in the last bag of groceries from the market.

On the horizon, the sun is already starting to set, painting the sky with shades of orange and pink.

Slightly shaking my head, I take a deep breath and start making my way home, but as I pass by the forest, I stop in my tracks.

Come on in...

A faint voice whispers. The sound so sweet and alluring, that it compels me follow it through the opening made by trees.

My brain is screaming danger, but my body doesn't seem to mind the environment as much, seeing that I keep walking deeper and deeper in without a problem. That is until....

Crack.

My breath hitches as a twig snaps somewhere in front of me, finally bringing me back to my senses.

Where am I?

I wonder looking around, noticing that the sky is now pitch black illuminated by a few stars.

When my gaze returns back to the front, I freeze on the spot, heart beating fast as I see a guy standing in front of me.

The guy's eyes curiously analyze me, his gaze filling the air with an intense aura emanating from him.

The lamp that he is carrying, only illuminates half of his face as he raises it up a little, making him narrow his eyes which haven't left mine since we made eye contact. And then his eyes slightly widen as a golden glow flashes in his eyes.