Chapter 2

As I stare at my pale, freckled face in the mirror, the memory of the day my life took a slight turn resurfaces.

It was a beautiful day outside and I was playing with my dolls in the porch. I was only five when it had all started. My eyes had started to itch and I could not see correctly. I had held my hands to my face but I couldn't make the difference between fingers, knuckles or palms.

Scared, I ran inside to the kitchen where my mother had been cooking dinner. That day it had been Dad's turn to work with the family business.

"Mommy, I can't see! My eyes are itchy!" I bounced up to where my mom stood -- in the kitchen island-- one hand had been rubbing my left eye and the other hand was twirling one of my red pigtails.

"Don't worry, Rayne." She had reassured me. She had been getting pale, but she gifted me with a small smile and said, "That's normal".

But it wasn't. Nobody I ever knew has experienced what I did. From that day on I was always known as a freak. When I bring up the memory to Mom she refuses ever remembering. She still says till this day that it must have been a dream of mine. She says I was born with purple eyes, but I refuse to believe her.

I take my luggage and start unpacking. All of my blouses go to the oak chest along with my pants and skirts and hats-- beanies, mostly. My dresses and shoes go to the insanely large walk-in closet. I put my flute on the top of the chest along with some music sheets and my sketchbooks, canvases, pencils, oil paints, and paintbrushes are set by the window. I take out all of the books I packed--which seemed to multiply because I don't remember packing all of this-- and put them in a tall oak bookshelf. Why is everything made of oak here?

After I am done unpacking and everything is in it's place, I go downstairs and find Mom in the living room, resting on a white couch.

"Mom, can I go to the town and buy some clothes for the school year?" I ask her as I go to stand by her side.

"Sure, go ahead. Don't get lost, though." Mom warns and points a finger at me.

"When have you seen me get lost?" I say but I know what came next.

"Rayne, you got lost looking for the restrooms when we were at the airport." My mom says.

"So? That happens to a lot of people." I say in my defense.

"Not when they had just walked out of them." She says and arches an eyebrow at me.

"I can assure you that that won't happen again." I say and she gives me a faint smile.

"I'm serious." She says.

"Okay." I say and go upstairs to grab my purse, money and phone. Also while I was upstairs, I put in my blue contacts, some eyeliner. I comb through my waist long hair and put on a black beanie to go with my black t-shirt and long blue jeans. I like how my hair looks with beanies. I head back downstairs.

"See ya in three hours, Mom." I say and open the door to leave.

"Wait, do you have your cellphone?" My mom asks me. "Do you want me to come with you?"

"Don't worry, Mom. I'll be fine, plus you look tired," Which isn't a lie, she has bags under her otherwise perfect eyes. It is obvious something is keeping her up at night. "Why don't you stay and rest and I'll call if I need anything, okay?"

"Okay." she says and I leave through the door.

Once I was outside, I start descending the hill. Dad is out with the car so that means I am going to have to go on foot. Pretty long journey ahead, huh?