7. Atrocities of War

Thursday September 4, 1969

Charleston, SC High 88˚ Low 66˚ Wind 5 mph

Vietnam: US Deaths 45; Vietnamese Deaths 1,066

The goal for our sleep deprived boys on Thursday is to travel halfway to Washington DC

The goal for our sleep deprived boys on Thursday is to travel halfway to Washington DC. They hope to tour the Capital on Saturday. Raleigh seems like a decent target for which to aim.

They coast through the green Georgia countryside looking at fields of harvested tobacco. There are truckloads of tobacco on the roads. There are red barns filled with rows of drying yellowish brown tobacco leaves. It smells pretty good.

"I wouldn't mind chewin' a bit of cured tobacco leaf right now," says Stone. "I always took a pinch out of Wilson's Beechnut pouch when he wasn't looking. Gives a pleasant buzz."

"It also gives you mouth cancer," says Johnny U. "Besides, spitting is gross. You ever look close at baseball players with brown juice running down their chins?"

"I know whatcha mean," says SA. "My baseball card of Bill Mazeroski shows him with what looks like a baseball in his cheek."

"I thought your mom threw all your cards away when you left for college?" asks Johnny U.

"That's a sore topic. But I had a collection of Pirates cards she didn't notice."

"Let's get gas here," suggests Stone

"Let's get gas here," suggests Stone. I need the restroom. I think I have a little diarrhea."

"How ya feel?" asks SA.

"Not bad, a little light headed."

"Lack of sleep will do that," says Johnny U.

At the side of the station were the restrooms. They walked around back to stretch their legs and there was a small building with a broken door half open which said "Colored".

"Wow," says SA. "I thought that's illegal today. Three kinds of people can use these bathrooms. Men, Women, and Colored. I'm using the colored one."

SA goes in the small room to pee. The door will not shut all the way. The floor and the toilet are filthy. Johnny U is nervous about someone seeing SA in there but no one is paying attention.