Chapter Four , Writing the Book and Making Videos

The following excerpts are taken directly from Charlie's book.

       Charles Croteau has served for many years as a private consultant to schools, physicians, and organizations on topics related to spinal cord injury. Mr. Croteau was injured as a college student, and has been dubbed "Mr. Mobility" because of his remarkable skills despite his C5-6 spinal cord injury He has taught wheelchair mobility for over 20 years on the Spinal Cord Injury Unit at Boston Medical Center, and that facility's new gym is named after him. Mr. Croteau has lectured extensively the past 20 years on wheelchair mobility and related disability issues, including an inspiring keynote address at the 2007 White Coat Ceremony. The Assumption College graduate is the author of Wheelchair Mobility– a Handbook, and two companion instructional videos: Wheelchair Mobility and Living with Spinal Cord Injury. Mr. Croteau , who has served on boards and advisory committees of myriad organizations, has received numerous honors including the 2005 Man of the Year and 2000 Spirit Award from the Boston Chapter of the National Spinal Cord Injury Foundation, the Governor's Award for Volunteer Services, and the Shining Star Award from Outdoor Explorations. He has also taught at Spaulding Rehabilitation, Northeastern University, Simmons College, Massachusetts General Hospital, Notre Dame College, University of New Hampshire,and a host of others.Many universities hired Charlie as a guest lecturer to supplement classes that included working with SCI victims.

WHEELCHAIR MOBILITY The Author – Charlie Croteau

     Wheelchair Mobility - A Handbook, written by ,encompasses the essential philosophy of occupational therapy in maximizing the independence of those with spinal cord injuries. The book presents a well-organized guide to the wheelchair and its various components. It also shows how adapting the components can lead to enhanced functional mobility with activities of daily living. Itis a valuable asset for any occupational therapist working with persons with spinal cord injuries.

Preface as written by Charlie

       After breaking my neck on a trampoline in 1972, it didn't take much of an imagination to see that life was going to be very different for awhile. Remaining paralyzed was certainly not in my plans, but after 25 years of living with a Spinal Cord Injury, I guess you could say it's a done deal. That's life. Sometimes it has a strange way of dealing you cards that you don't want. How you play those cards will determine the quality of your life. You may even consider folding, which is only natural, but I hope that you will play even if you have to bluff once in awhile. For those of you who will play, I have written this book in the simple hope that it will help. If it can help you learn how to maneuver in your new world with SCI, or help your therapist teach you how, then it will have accomplished its purpose.

     Before we begin, I should mention that you may not be able to accomplish all that is written in this book before you leave the rehabilitation setting. There may be a fairly long learning curve involved here,particularly for those of you with quadriplegia.

      It has taken me years to learn all the things presented here, and after twenty years of teaching wheelchair mobility to people with SCI, I can assure you that what works for one does not necessarily work forall. Much of the early stages will be trial and error. You may need to try several different types of wheelchairs before you find one that feels right. Not only are the chairs different, but there are many different equipment options with many different settings. Just getting the chair right for you will take some time and hopefully your therapist will be able to narrow the field for you.

       As a ray of hope, let me say that when I first went home there were many times when I wished I were dead. Just getting out of bed was a major hassle, let alone the "Activities of Daily Living". Even today, those things are still an annoyance, but I like to think that I am cheating death by living hard. Canoeing, sailing, skiing, biking, skeet & trapshooting, bird watching and women are just a few of the fun things life still has to offer. I even manage to work once in awhile! My motto is "Keep your mind full and your bowels empty." If you can manage that, you will be all right. I always wanted to play tennis, but didn't think it was possible for a quadriplegic to play. Then I found out I could tape the racquet on. I play tennis when the opportunity arises.