Three

"That's a l-lot of cars," Maddox stammered softly.

Maddox was right. There were a lot of cars. However, seeing these cars made me excited. I knew that this party was going to be a great way to de-stress. Grade eleven was far from easy.

"Remember what I said. No one's going to care who we are." Biting my lip, I smirked. "As a matter of fact, I want you to pretend to be someone else for tonight. You look like a total badass; be one, Maddox."

He parked the car a few metres away from the house. "I don't know, Delilah. That seems difficult."

I turned to him. "Don't you do drama? And aren't you good at it? I mean, you got the lead role in Hamlet in last year's Shakespeare production."

"But that's different."

"How's it different?"

He didn't reply because he knew his logic was immensely flawed. His fingers drummed on the steering wheel for a few seconds before he sighed. "Okay."

I opened the car door and jumped out. The breeze told me that there was rain coming. I could smell the ocean in the air. The driver side door slammed shut and Maddox began stalking to the house. It was clear to say that he was embracing his role.

Music poured out of every window of the beach house. Plastic cups littered the lawn . . . as well as confetti for some odd reason. The people outside were either drinking out of whisky bottles or smoking themselves into oblivion. Typical high school party.

Maddox and I walked side-by-side, catching the eyes of girls with ciders in their hands. They exchanged whispers and giggles. We hadn't even entered the house and yet Maddox already had admirers.

As we stepped onto the porch, I said to him, "Feels like I'm going to have to fight off an army of girls just to keep you safe."

He grinned. "I think I'll be able to handle them myself."

The door was already open so we stepped inside. It was already fairly dark; there were lights flashing around, creating a club-like vibe.

I stood on my toes to say in his ear, "I don't want you to go off with some girl and get drunk. You're the only person to get us home."

His head snapped back so he could look at me. We were standing a little too close, but it was the only way he could hear me.

"I'll be fine," he said over the blaring music. "Do you have your phone here?"

I nodded.

"What's your number?" he asked as he took out his phone from his front pocket. I recited my number to him and said it again for confirmation. "Okay, if it gets too hectic for me, I'll call you and we can leave. If it's fine with you," he added quickly.

"Fine by me," I said. "As long as you don't call me in the next hour. I need to socialise."

We bade each other adieu and went our separate ways. But as I drank and talked to people, my thoughts always slipped to Maddox. I just hoped he was okay and wasn't caught in a game of Strip Poker.

A few hours later, I could tell I was getting drunk. Mayuri and Ember caught up with me and we decided to dance on the makeshift dance floor.

The rush of the music and the pulsing of my heart made me feel like I was high on ecstasy. Sweat dotted my arms and forehead but I didn't mind. I was in a trance.

I was trying to dance my problems away.

At some point I closed my eyes, feeling the music weave into my body cells. When I opened them, I was staring straight at Maddox. There were multiple girls by his side. Some were leaning on him. He had a wolfish grin on his face, but I could tell he was a little uncomfortable.

Without thinking, I shot towards him. He seemed surprised that I was sauntering to him. He pushed himself off the wall and gazed into my eyes. The girls with him followed his line of view and sneered. Clearly they weren't happy to see me.

"Let's dance," I said once I got to him. I offered him my hand.

He didn't say anything. He just placed his warm hand in mine and allowed me to lead him to the middle of the dance floor.

"I don't know how to dance," he told me.

"Weren't you also in Grease last year, too? You played Zuko so I'm pretty sure you have some rhythm in you."

"Are you stalking me?"

"Maybe." It was tiring trying to speak over the music so I let my hands do the speaking. I spun around, letting my back face him. Reaching behind me, I took his hands and placed them on my hips. Then, I started to sway to the upbeat music.

He was hesitant at first, his hands basically ghosting on my hips, but he got into it. His grip grew tighter and I could tell he was less rigid. The space between us closed and I could feel his breath on my shoulder.

Alcohol was called liquid courage for a reason. My right hand slid to his neck and the other intertwined with his hand. Something about the whole experience felt erotic, like I was in Dirty Dancing. Except we were both high school students and the music was upbeat electronic-pop.

Warmth radiated between us and I felt my heart flutter. At that time I thought it was adrenaline and the alcohol that made me feel like that.

Little did I know that it was the start of something new.

And no, I didn't mean to reference High School Musical.

○○○

So sorry for the late update! There was something wrong with my phone and I couldn't access the internet!

I'll still an update tomorrow though! That's a promise.

Anywho, what do you think of Maddox? Delilah?

Love ~ blackwolf