Jimmy Cooper

Introduction

Quadrophenia is a rock opera written mostly by Pete Townshed. It deals with various themes including teenage angst, British subcultures, and dissatisfaction with love, work, and the education system and economic classes. The word 'quadrophenia' is a fictional word to describe the main characters' four clashing personalities, combining 'quadro' for four, and 'schizophrenia' to describe his mental disturbances. What the protagonist actually seems to be suffering from is multi-personality disorder, and this mis-diagnosis is what leads him to suffer and is a representation of how mental illness was treated at this time period. 

Jimmy Cooper is the main story of this opera. As stated before, he has four personalities, which correspond to traits from the four members of the band. In a sense, Jimmy is the collective character of The Who. In fact, one song from the album matches each of the four members.

A tough guy, who is Roger Daltrey / Lyric from Helpless Dancer
A romantic, that is, John Entwistle / Lyric from Is it Me?
A bloody lunatic, Keith Moon / From Bell Boy
A beggar, a hypocrite, Pete Townshend / From Love Reign O'er Me

Throughout the album and the movie, Jimmy cycles through various emotions and expressions which at first seem normal for a teenager, but later become more dramatic. His friends and family even begin to point it out, although the movie is filmed in such a way that it is hard to tell if they are criticizing him, making it harder for the audience to tell if he is actually mentally ill. 

Jimmy Cooper is also part of a subculture/gang called the Mods. Their distinctive characteristics include French haircuts, parka vests, tight pants and moccasins. They often ride Vespa or Lambretta scooters and found strength in numbers. The Mods often clash with an alternative group called the Rockers, who's style includes leather and an overall wilder look. Jimmy finds a sense of family among the Mods, which makes up for a lack of stability which he faces at home.

In the lyrical analysis, I will describe the plot of the opera and the movie, which have some differences. In the fourth section (Film 1979) I will explain solely the plot of the movie.