Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 7

In silence, Matt and I make our way back to the house. Being near him still feels surreal after everything we went through, but it's time we find a way to be around each other.

It took me years to gather the courage to come back to Rose Town. The pain of leaving everything behind is still fresh in my mind, but I need to learn to let the past go. I haven't realized how much I've missed everyone until now, how much being here in this little house brings me peace and contentment.

I won't lie and say it's going to be easy to be around Matt because there's an obvious pull between us that is just hard to be ignored. But I came here for Gran, so that's the person I should focus on.

Her house is old and in need of a good renovation. I didn't know the state of some things was this bad until now. She's stubborn and proud and won't easily accept my help, which raises the question of how I'm going to help her.

Unfortunately, I only have ten days here to convince her and there's only one person who can help me with that. Matt. She loves him like family, so I'm going to use it in my favor.

Two against one and all that.

As soon as we approach the house, Gran comes in our direction. "Thank you again for everything, Matt. Would you like something to drink or anything?"

"My pleasure, Lola." He kisses the back of her hand. "But I gotta go."

"All right, honey. Thanks again for always having my back." She gives a warm smile.

"Right back at you." He winks, making his way to his car.

"I'll see you inside in a second, Gran." I wave at her and start jogging to catch up with him. "Hey, Matt."

He turns to me, his eyes curious. "Yeah?"

"Can we talk in private for a second before you leave?" I ask, my heart racing when he frowns.

"Hop in." He opens the door of his car for me, and I can't help but raise my eyebrows in surprise.

"I was thinking we could talk here..."

"You want private?" he says, his eyes full of humor. "Let's go for a ride."

I stand up taller, my arms crossing over my chest. "Not really sure if it's a good idea."

He leans on the car, a little smirk playing on his lips. "You're afraid to go for a ride with me?"

"Don't be ridiculous!" I scoff, my head shaking as I try to think about a smart reply.

When I can't, I end up getting inside the car.

Amused, he loops around the car and turns the key in the ignition. "Still so easy to get you worked up, Jen..."

"Where are we going?" I ask, looking through the window.

"How long are you staying in town?" he asks instead of answering me.

"About ten days." I turn to him, but his eyes are glued to the road. "This is what I actually wanted to talk to you about. Gran's house needs some renovations, but she won't accept my money..."

"What are you saying?" He skips a glance at me.

"I want your help." I let out a quick breath, and he raises his eyebrows. "You could pretend you're just trying to help her around for the party while we tackle the big stuff around her place. The roof on the back porch, the bathroom downstairs..."

"You want me to lie to her?" He parks the car in front of an old creek, making me roll my eyes.

"Really, Matt?" I say once he leaves the car and starts walking down the stone path that leads to a secluded area.

icon lock

Show your support for Celeste, and continue reading this story

by Celeste
@CelesteABrook
[Small Town / Second Chance] When Jennifer heads back to her hometown...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 34 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @CelesteABrook.