temperance

Angel couldn't take her eyes off him. She was struggling to comprehend that he was here and sitting across from her on her couch. Her apartment had been so bare without him that it brought her comfort to have him back.

They hadn't talked much since their argument at the beach. He held her as she cried and whispered soothing words and he suggested they go back to her apartment which is where they now resided.

"Are we gonna talk or are you just gonna stare at me the whole time?" He said in an attempt of a joke.

"I don't know what to say" She replied truthfully.

She didn't know how much she could trust him, as much as the words he said were warming and exactly what she wanted to hear, she couldn't determine the sincerity of them.

"Come sit with me" He said, gesturing to the spot beside him.

He craved her touch and he needed to feel her body beside his to soothe the longing in his chest. He could tell she was hesitant, he could practically see her mentally debating the proposition.

"Please, I missed you" He adds hoping it would help sway her.

She slowly moved over and sat beside him feeling her heart rate quicken just from being in such close proximity to him.

He wasted no opportunity in pulling her close, ghosting his lips over her neck and letting his fingers trail along her waist. It immediately caused goosebumps to arise on Angel's skin but she knew she couldn't give in this easy.

She gently pushed him off as he looked at her concerned. As much as she wanted to give in and allow him to make her feel good, she had to be firm. What he did was bad and she couldn't just forgive him and let it go back to normal straight away. He had to prove he was sorry.

"Easy there" She warned "You're not completely forgiven yet, you hurt me Mitty and that's not gonna go away by kissing it better"

"I mean I could try" He smirked.

"I'm serious" She responded.

Normally she loved Mitty's playful behaviour but right now and under the circumstances of the past month, it was not something she wanted to see. He had to show maturity and if he couldn't then she wasn't going to waste any more time on him.

"Sorry" He mumbled "I just missed you so much and you just look so beautiful"

His eyes drank in her appearance and he cursed himself for ever being so silly to let her go. He had never felt the things he felt for Angel and he just wanted her all to himself again.

"I missed you too"

Hearing those words fall from her lips brought him more comfort than he could ever imagine, knowing this wasn't just infatuation and that she too felt the same.

"But you need to prove to me you're not gonna hurt me again, so until then we need some boundaries" She explained.

"Boundaries?" He repeated.

"Yes boundaries" She confirmed "Like it's cool for us to hang out but you can't touch me in any way other than friends"

"But-"

"If you want this to work then you have to show me how willing you are to fix it" She said bluntly surprising herself at how authoritative she was being.

"Okay" He replied.

He couldn't fault her, what he did was horrible and he should've known better that she wouldn't just fall back into his arms like before. He was going to have to grovel but he didn't even mind if it meant he got her.

They spent the rest of the evening watching films that weren't particularly interesting to him but Angel looked to be enjoying herself so he didn't mind. She could've made them watch paint dry and he wouldn't have cared because at the end of the day he was getting to spend time with her and that's all he wanted.

They chatted and joked about things and it was almost back to normal but there was still hesitancy on her part, there was almost like an invisible barrier between them that he had to learn how to navigate and control. He wanted it gone, he just wanted to touch her and make her feel good however he pleased but he couldn't, not yet.

He felt like an alcoholic, desperate for another drink. His mind was consumed about all the things he wanted as much as he tried to remember how much couldn't. This was going to be difficult for him, he wasn't used to being denied anything but maybe it would be good for him and teach him some temperance. It felt strange to be on the receiving end of a lesson but he was trying his best to succeed.

Soon enough the night grew dark and Angel was becoming more and more sleepy. He watched as her eyelids fell heavy, her body sinking more and more into the pillows and he knew she was ready for sleep. He had watched it so many times, he had missed it.

In fact he had missed the small innocent details more than anything. Like the way she fell asleep and the way she brushed her hair every morning cross legged on the floor in front of her mirror. He missed how she would tug on his pinky finger when she wanted him to hold her hand and the way she whispered his name when she was scared. He had missed all these things and it was bittersweet in a way that he could enjoy them again but only so much.

"Can I stay here tonight?" He asked her hoping in her tired state that she wouldn't put up much of a fight.

"Sure I guess" She shrugged "There's a spare blanket in the cupboard"

"Can't I just share the bed with you?" He asked.

"Didn't we already have this discussion about boundaries?" She sighed softly.

"Friends share beds all the time" He reasoned.

He couldn't sleep here the whole night and do so from the couch, it would kill him to know how close she was but not quite.

"It's different though" She responded.

"I won't try anything I promise" He whispered "I just want to be near you and make sure you sleep okay"

She wanted to be more restrained and put up a fight but her slumber was overtaking her body fast and she was struggling to even keep her eyes open so she silently agreed nodding her head as she made her way to her room.

She climbed into her bed pulling off her hoodie and throwing it on the floor as she snuggled down under the covers. Mitty followed behind her closing the door and removing his jeans, he didn't care to be discreet and Angel was too tired to notice.

He gently climbed in beside her but kept his distance knowing he couldn't push his luck now in fear of her vanishing him completely. He looked over to see her hugging the sheets as her head sank into the pillow. All he wanted to do was close his eyes and hold her close as he drifted off to sleep but for tonight he would settle just getting to be near her making sure she was okay.

He made himself comfortable lying on his back and stared at the ceiling as her clock created a rhythmic ticking in a calming way as he began to close his own eyes.

"Mitty?" She whispered.

"Yes?" He replied, worried she was going to make him leave.

"Please don't be gone when I wake up" She said.

Her words made his heart swell with guilt and with adoration for the small, beautiful girl next to him.

"I won't" He replied calmly "I promise"

And he meant it.

——-

I am SORRY I take so long updating this. A bitch just finished uni and is graduating with honours in two weeks so I've been hectic pls bare with its gonna be summer for me so very soon I'll update lots but even so this story only has 6 chapters left ❤️

Also how fucking AMAZING is phases??? I am in love