Chapter One; The Gringotts Trip

~Harry Potter~

It seemed odd that less than twelve hours ago, I had been lying on the floor of a creaky shack in the middle of the sea, wishing myself a quiet happy birthday. Now? Now I had found out I was a wizard. A person who was born with the ability to wield magic. Hagrid had come to escort me to Diagon Alley, and he insisted that the first place we had to stop was Gringotts, the wizarding bank run by goblins, supposedly vicious creatures according to Hagrid.
We stepped up to the teller down the middle and he said, "I am Matterhorn, what do you need help with today?"
Hagrid cleared his throat and said, "We need to make several withdrawals. Confidential."
The goblin leaned over the desk to look at us, and he said, "Names?"
I piped up, "My name is Harry, sir. Harry James Potter."
His eyebrows rose up and he said, "Nice manners, for a wizard. Tell me, Young Potter, why aren't you meeting with your family account manager instead of simply trying to make a withdrawal?"
I bit my bottom lip and said, "I didn't know I had an account manager, sir. I was raised by muggles, and Hagrid hadn't mentioned that. If you don't mind me asking, why is it so important that I talk to my family account manager, sir?"
Matterhorn went to speak but Hagrid said, "Enough with this, I have orders directly from Dumbledore that Harry is only to get a withdrawal!"
Matterhorn sneered, "Dumbledore is not the boys magical guardian, and neither are you, half-giant! Dumbledore of all people should realize the tradition of an heir, especially one who is to be Lord from such a young age, meeting with their account managers!" He took a deep breath and said to me, "It's important because your account manager, Grappleclaw, is meant to be showing you your account ledgers, the vaults you may claim, and helping with you a lineage and inheritance test. Hagrid is, for some reason, under orders to stop that from happening. It is quite curious. Especially since Dumbledore is the man who sealed your parents wills and illegally placed you with the muggles you currently reside with."
I felt betrayal well up inside me and turned to glare at Hagrid, who looked surprised I was angry. I drew in a deep breath through my nose and said, "I think I'll find my own way around, Hagrid. You can leave. Give me my vault key, and any of my other belongings, please."
Hagrid looked uneasy with the idea, honestly looking like he wasn't going to, until Matterhorn said, "Give the boy his key, half-giant, before we make you. You can't withhold information and not expect the boy to be angry. Give him his belongings."
Around us, I noticed several wizards and goblins staring at us, and a tall, regal looking blonde man stated, "Give the boy his belongings, Hagrid. Neither you, nor Dumbledore, have the right to have them." A sneer was prominent on the man's face, and on the face of the young blonde boy at his side.
Hagrid shuffled nervously before reaching into one of his many pockets and pulling out two keys as well as my Hogwarts letter. I all but snatched them out of his hands and snarled, "I thought you would be one of the adults I could trust." I shook my head angrily, "Obviously that assumption was wrong. Goodbye Hagrid. Thank you for taking me away from the Dursleys, but your presence is no longer necessary."
I turned towards Matterhorn and asked politely, "Is my account manager busy, sir? Can he meet with me?"
Matterhorn nodded and replied, "Griphook, lead young Lord Potter to Grappleclaw's office if you will."
A goblin appeared from around one of the tellers and motioned for me to follow him.
I smiled shyly at him as he patiently waited for me to make my way over to him, and once I'd reached his side I said, "Thank you, sir. I appreciate your help."
Griphook nodded and said, "Follow me, Lord Potter."