Parting Ways

Arya

It was relatively easy to sneak into the forge. The guards knew her well enough to know she wandered where she pleased, they were used to it. They would not approve of her current destination, however. She could give a shit.

She felt so much better in her trousers and tunic, free to move around, much less of a lady. And that suited her.

The forge was alight with flames, sparks spurting out the door, the hammer of metal ringing through the air. Of course he was still working the night before his departure, of course.

Before entering, she counselled herself not to be distracted by his sweaty, heaving back, or the sight of his well-formed arm beating the steel. She tried in vain to ignore that intoxicating scent that was all Gendry. She managed to push such thoughts way down low, then cleared her throat to let him know she was there.

The look of shock on his face is so stark, she is unable to discern any other emotions. Was he glad to see her? Was he sick of all the complications that went with her? What had her mother told him?

"Arya."

This meeting felt so familiar, but she felt so far away.

"Gendry."

"I... I'm leaving tomorrow." He blurts out, swallowing hard. Nervous, that was another emotion he had.

His departure was why she had come.

"Yes, that's why I came."

At her words, a hint of a smile breaks free on one side of his face. He thought this a purely pleasant visit.

"Whatever my mother told you, don't believe her." She decides to be blunt, it was a strength of hers.

The smile drops from his face.

"What...?"

"She's using you." She explains calmly.

He sets the fire down low, mindlessly, then gives her his full attention once more.

"That's what you highborns do. You use people. I'm pretty used to it by now." He hadn't taken her directness wll then.

"I only meant to warn you. Do as you like." She's angry at his jibe. He had no place to judge her. She'd just let him leave then. She turns to go.

"I didn't mean... I didn't say I minded. I'm sorry. I been waiting to see you all this time. I didn't mean it." He looks so apologetic that she stops in her tracks.

"So why are you leaving for The Twins? What do you think you'll find there?"

"It's important, I mean to serve your brother." He answers.

She outright rolls her eyes.

"I haven't promised anything, I only mean to earn their favor."

"This desire to serve is new. Where was your sense of duty on the road?"

"Things have changed." He answers, swallowing hard.

"Not really. I'm the same as when you met me- ruined. Just as you've always had King's blood. What's the difference?" She points out none-too-kindly.

"You could have told me." He challenges, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I don't care what you think, or my mother for that matter. It's my business." She snaps.

"I only mean, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I don't think that."

At his apology, she feels her traitorous eyes water, but she blinks it back before he can see.