chapter three

chapter three

The doorbell went, and I raced for the door.

"You're late," I told my two friends in mock annoyance. I stood there, one hand on my hip, the other on the door.

"Yeah, yeah your highness," Sofia said, barging past me with a bottle of wine in each hand. I watched her back as she found her way to the kitchen and heard her greet my mother.

Martina came in after her, actually letting me step aside rather than push past as Sofia had. She rolled her eyes as I laughed.

"A ten minute car ride with her was too much," she said, as she stepped into the hall. I closed the door behind her.

"Come on," I said, linking her arm with mine. "The food'll get cold."

We took our places at the table, following everyone greeting each other.

My father was at the head of the table, as usual, an entirely different man to the one he was with business. This man was more present, quiet but hospitable and attentive.

My mother placed all the plates in front of everyone. We all waited, led by my father, for her to sit down herself before we dug in.

"Bellissima," Sofia said, taking the first bite of her's.

We all began talking, mostly over each other and we ate. I learnt that Emilio wasn't going to see that girl he'd left the wedding for again because they just didn't click, as he put it. I wondered if he figured that before or after they had sex.

"What are you girls doing tonight?" my mother asked, helping herself to another portion of food. Emilio did the same, practically breathing his in. I swear I hardly saw him chew.

The girls were sleeping round tonight, after a lot of coaxing on my part to my father. But he accepted in the end. These were daughters of his most trusted men, after all. It'd be almost insulting to not let them stay round for security reasons.

"Probably just stayi—" Martina began.

I cut her off, "We're going out."

"We are?" both Sofia and Martina said at the same time.

I nodded. "We are."

"Well," my mother said, picking up the empty plates. She grinned at us. "You all have fun."

"Oh," I said, glancing to the girls. "We will."

° ° °

The bar I chose was on the other side of town. We weren't really meant to be here. Okay, 'categorically forbidden' to be here but who's really about to go into the technicalities?

It probably wasn't the place the others would choose first and neither would I, really, but I had a good feeling about this one. It wasn't as rough as some of the others dotted around town, but was more hidden away, nestled amongst other buildings.

It's sign was glowing red, Battle Horse, it read.

I felt Martina and Sofia look to each other.