chapter four

chapter four

Okay, maybe he did show me.

He was winning, even after my respectable previous play.

There was one ball left, the decider.

He readied himself. I did the only thing I could thing of to ensure I didn't lose: cheat.

I lowered myself, directly opposite him, resting on my hands. I tried to make the movement as graceful as possible, I prayed to the god I didn't just look like an awkward cheater— even if that's exactly what I was in that moment.

"Not going to work, Roma," I heard him say but his voice sounded a bit tighter. His eyes stayed on his target, but I knew he could see me, even if not directly.

"I don't know what you mean, Carmello," I said, letting my voice drop a few notches, and rolling his name in my mouth as he had taken to doing to mine.

He swore to himself and drew his stick cue backwards. It propelled forward, knocking the solid coloured ball flying. I watched, trying not to smirk, as it went towards its target but just missed.

I looked at the table, figuring out my next move. "Excuse me," I said, brushing past him, a little closer than I'd intended to but I used it to my advantage. He muttered something but I was too focused on what I was doing to pick it up. I was so intent on what I was doing, in fact, that I hardly registered him getting closer. And closer.

I sucked in a sharp breath when his fingers touched my skin. In my position, my dress had ridden up slightly— giving him access to my leg. It might've looked like a accidental touch, but I knew better. I refused to let him get to me. That was harder said than done, though.

I pushed myself into him, willing myself to gain control again. I felt more than heard his groan as it reverberated through him. I pulled back and aimed. The clatter of them all hitting each other helped me regain some of my sanity. I watched as the last ball spun several times before falling into the end corner pocket.

"Would you look at that," I mused. I separated our bodies and went towards the table. Grinning to myself, I collected the notes in my arms, mentally doing a little victory dance. "You know," I said, coming over to him after putting them all into my purse. "Try not to let this hurt you too much, yeah?"

He watched me, and then at the hand I'd put on his shoulder. I tapped him once before dropping it. "You can buy the next round then, winner."

I thought it over. It probably wouldn't be a good idea, I knew that— truly, I did— but I wanted a little more time to rub my victory in. "One round," I said with finality.

"One round," he repeated with a nod.

I followed him back up the staircase, careful to leave a bit of distance between us. I tried not to look at his ass, I really did. Just not that hard.

He took me across the floor again. It was busier than before— more people crowded around the bar, ordering drinks and bumping into each other. They filled the dance floor, too. I willed myself to keep an eye on Carmello so I didn't lose in amidst all of the unfamiliar faces.

We went to where he'd been sat before. It was a small booth, tucked into the corner of the place. A couple sat there, necking on. I stood, awkwardly, looking around to see if there were any other seats available.

Carmello stood there for a moment, his shadow casting over the pair. He coughed, once. The guy looked up at him, looking like he was about ready to tell him where to go... but then he realised who it was. His eyes widened and his body became rigid. When he finally conjured the energy to move his limbs, he was quick to lamber out of the seat, pulling the poor girl he was with along with him.