Chapter 5

---Ezra's POV---

Turned out the doctor needed to operate the cat after all; the attack on his spine had pinched several nerves and fractured a vertebrate or two. That would be a death sentence in the mortal realms but here, we knew how to treat these injuries. It was rather common of the were-society to have serious injuries that even their own healing powers couldn't handle.

But the healing process was going to take a whole lot of time, time where the poor cat was going to be barely able to move and needed to be confined in a house. As soon as Jeremy heard that, he turned around in my lap and produced the cutest, biggest puppy eyes I've ever seen while his lower lip wobbled slightly.

"Ezra..." He whined before glancing at the cat with a hopeful look in his eyes. "Can we keep him? Animals only live in the mortal realms and you promised me we could go and get a pet. Please? Pretty please?" Jeremy pleaded as he bounced on my knee, hazel eyes boring into mine until I sighed and grunted a "Fine."

Max shot a look at me over his glasses, a slight smile curling his lips before he shook his head and carried the cat out of the room towards his office. Everyone knew the cat was already going home with me before Jeremy started pleading. I rubbed a hand over my face before looking down at my adoptive son.

"We'll keep him but keep in mind that he's in pretty bad condition now Jer. Max will do anything in his power to fix the cat but after that, it's up to him...or her." I added, trying to keep Jeremy from getting his hopes crushed if the cat didn't make it through.

"He'll make it." Jeremy muttered before crossing his arms. "He'll be just fine, you'll see." I didn't argue with him and said my goodbyes to the pack before guiding Jeremy back home. It was already way past his bedtime and even if he didn't have lessons tomorrow, I still wanted him to stick to his routine.

After promising him that the cat would be here tomorrow and he could name it, he eventually succumbed to sleep. I stayed seated on his bed for a moment, looking at the relaxed face of the kid before I rubbed my hands over my face and sighed tiredly.

How did the cat get into this realm? We could easily visit the mortal realms and come back again but it was impossible for any mortal being to break through the barriers around our worlds...unless it was brought here.

Maybe someone wanted a pet and brought the cat here only for it to run away? I knew felines had a fixed territory and would run out of a strange environment they were placed in. I was a cat myself...or rather a part of me.

You see, my unknown mother had been quite...adventurous in her relationships and didn't focus on one species exactly when her heat struck. Eventually she got pregnant and dumped me on pack territory, hoping that the wolves would get rid of me. When they did found me, Miranda took me in and raised me as one of her own.

God bless that woman and her kind heart.

At first they thought I was deformed, a mutant but when Max did some tests, they discovered I actually was a Chimera, a mythological creature that was created by combining three different species. Yes, I am part lion, part viper and part goat. Hilarious, I know.

Miranda had taken a picture when I was still a cub and it was odd but cute. I resembled mostly a lion, save for the dark brown and black fur over my hind legs, the snake that had replaced my tail and let's not forget about the second head.

Yes, a goat head stuck on the back of my neck. Luckily, the goat genes were recessive and mostly disappeared as I grew up so now I only had the horns and dark hind legs to reveal my heritage. Let's not forget about the snake tail as well. I still had awareness of all three species, as well as their combined instincts and abilities.