Chapter 11

"Ana?!" Anders cried,darting up from the chair next to our bed. He stopped short, lookinglike he was afraid to touch me. "I'm not dreaming, am I? You'reback..."

My head shot up to look at him,taking in the changes. His skin was pale and he'd lost weight. Notmuch, but enough I could see it in his cheeks which were now coveredin stubble. His hair was mussed and he had bags under his eyes. "Youhave a beard," I pointed out dully. I couldn't believe I washome. Everything was so bright, it hurt my eyes after all that timein ceaseless darkness.

I squinted at him, adjusting myeyes as he sat down on the bed, staring disbelievingly at me. Hereached out haltingly toward my face and when he hesitated, I grabbedhis hand and pulled it down out of my way so I could lean forward andkiss him. When I pulled away, he gripped me up in a fierce hug. "Ohblimey, you are back." The stubble on his cheek scratched myface but I didn't care. I buried my face next to his as I cried."What happened to you?" He sighed, his arms looseningslightly.

"Balthazar," Iwhispered, half explaining and half writhing as I felt him settlinginto my skin like he was on holiday. I shuddered.

"The demon?" Anderswhispered, cupping my face in his hands and studying my eyes, filledwith so much more than Balthazar's cruel, fake ones.

I nodded, clamping my lips shutand fighting back more tears. I sucked in a ragged breath. "Hewas back for me."

He frowned in concern and asked,"Did he touch you?"

I nodded jerkily, not revealingany more details than, "Once or twice..."

"I need to... Poke around abit, luv. Do you mind?" he asked.

"No," I shook my heademphatically. "Do it please..." Findthat bastard and get rid of him,I prayed silently, closing my eyes.

"Thatta girl." Hesmiled, taking my hands. He took a minute to search my aurathoroughly and I waited with baited breath for him to be thrown backby Balthazar's presence, but when he sighed and rubbed my knucklesgently with his thumbs, I nearly let out a hysterical laugh. "We'reall alone."

Like hell we are!I tried to say, but my lips wouldn't work. Balthazar held me incheck. All I could do was accept his grateful kiss and say, "Myson. I want to see Abram."

"How did you know what Inamed him?" Anders asked.

"I heard you," I said."I could hear everything."

"My goodness." He wasin shock. "Well, that's a bit embarrassing." His smile wasinfectious.

"I've missed you so much,"I said.

"I'll get Abram," hesaid, mussing my hair.

He moved to stand, but I grabbedhis hand. "No, help me up. I want to go to him."

Anders didn't question me, justhelped me stand. My legs were nearly useless, having not been used ingoing on two months, so I leaned heavily on him as we shuffled acrossthe room toward the bassinet where my son slept peacefully, obliviousto everything that had been happening in his world. I stared at himin awe, and finally Anders said, "We certainly make somehandsome children, don't we? He's got your eyes..."

I smiled. "He looks justlike you."

"The first one that didn'tget your hair."

"Or your eyes," Iagreed.

He hugged me close. "I'm sosorry you're only just meeting him."

"I tried so hard to holdon," I said.

"I know, luv. It's okay.You're here now." He sighed.

Until Balthazar decides tohave his way with me,I shuddered as I heard him chuckling from somewhere deep down insideme. I had a feeling his trickery to get inside me was just thebeginning. He was a patient creature. I was staring at Abram as heslept, itching to pick him up and hold him, but not wanting to wakehim.