Chapter 24

That was how I spent the next fewdays. I took a ride in the morning and sparred with Stefan in theafternoons. He was a pro at getting me laughing and joking. It mademe feel good not to have to worry about anything, as long as he and Iwere going through the motions.

Just when I was starting to giveup on Anders ever speaking to me again, Stefan came out with somehappy news. "So guess what happened last night?" he askedexcitedly after I tapped my victory on his knee. It was my third ofthe day. I was on fire.

"I can't imagine what's gotyou so excited," I said. "Your footwork is shoddy."

He grinned. "My footwork isfine. No, I've asked for Emmeline's hand!"

"You proposed?" I gasped.

He nodded excitedly. "And she'saccepted!"

"Oh my gosh!" I dropped mysword and rushed him, giving him an excited hug. "That'swonderful!"

He hugged me back for a momentthen I felt him tense. "Anders is coming."

I turned my head to see myhusband approaching. I couldn't read the expression on his face asStefan pulled away from the hug. Anders stopped before us. "Stefan,could we have a moment?"

"Yeah, sure!" He stooped topick up his sword then decided to take mine too. "Just in case,"he whispered in my ear as he slipped my dagger from its sheath andstarted to walk off. I smirked and he stopped in his tracks, holdingup a finger. He walked back over, knelt, pulled my knife from myboot, stood reached around me for the one at the small of my backthen cocked an eyebrow and held out his hand. When I raised myeyebrow questioningly he sighed and pushed his hand closer. I rolledmy eyes, reached into my shirt and pulled the one I'd stashedbetween my breasts out and slapped it into his outstretched palm."Good girl," he smirked as I crossed my arms. "Good luck!" Hewalked off.

"Bloody hell, woman," Anderssaid.

"What do you want?" Isnapped, ready to be disappointed.

He flinched and lowered his gaze."I've been an idiot," he admitted. "We've been through toosodding much for me to let you go over one stupid, demon influencedkiss. I was watching you, with Stefan everyday, and I saw youlaughing and smiling and I remembered a vow I took 20 years ago. Ipromised I'd be there every day to make sure you smiled. I haven'tbeen there lately and I feel the need to make up for that."

"What are you saying?" Iasked hopefully.

"I miss you, little warrior."He sighed. "With every bone in my body! I'm in agony without younext to me."

I stared at him, praying I wasn'tdreaming. "You're not mad?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I neverwas! I was devastated. Seeing you with someone else, my world flippedupside down. I've felt nauseous ever since. I can't sleep, mymagic is going wonky..." I stopped him short, pressing my lips tohis. His surprise melted away and he kissed me back. His lips werefamiliar and tasted of home. I knew we were going to be okay. It wasconfirmed when he picked me up and carried me off to our bedroom.