FOUR

"Wake up, dude," Jeffery threw a pillow at James' head while standing in the kitchen. James stirred and groaned in response but didn't open his eyes or get up.

"See, he's fine," he shrugged and James peering through squinted eyes to see who he was talking to; none other than Doctor Carlisle Cullen.

James didn't think he was being obvious when he snapped his eyes shut and stretched to the point where his tee had risen above his waistline, but Carlisle saw right through it. He even laughed lightly as he turned to face Jeffery. James stood up and fixed his clothing, he needed a shower to really wake up. He opted for sluggishly moving to the coffee pot first where he could press his lips to a ceramic mug that would deliver a source of caffeine. The hot drink woke him right up. He slipped his foot behind his brother's and knocked his feet right out of underneath him while still drinking from the cup of coffee.

He pulled the mug away and smirked, "That's what you get for waking me up early on my day off."

"Every day is a day off for you," Jeffery scowled from the ground.

"Oi, not true. I've been working on very important research," he retorted and placed his mug in the sink.

Jeff scoffed, "You're not going to create a vaccine for c. diff, it's just not possible," he brushed himself off as he stood, Cullen watched the entire thing unravel from the sidelines.

"That's my job, Jeff, defying the impossible," James melodramatically grasped at the sky as he walked upstairs in order to get into the shower. "Nice seeing you, Carlisle," he called over his shoulder. "Mind coming to the bathroom to change my dressing again?"

"Not at all," the blond doctor agreed and followed James up the stairs.

"All of my shit is up here, the tegaderm and everything," James opened the medicine cabinet and pulled the supplies out. He needed the clear dressing around the burn before he could shower. He decided to pull off his shirt and toss it into the laundry basket before he surrendered his hand to the provider.

"C. diff, yeah?" Carlisle attempted to strike up a conversation regarding James' current research.

"If that's your way of getting me to talk then yeah. My intent is to create a form of the maximum therapeutic dose of a vancomycin vaccination that will only have to be taken once in order for the disease to be eradicated from the host," he explained.

"That seems... difficult," Carlisle chuckled as he placed the Restore between the burn and the gauze.

He shrugged, "Its taken me a couple of years but I think I'm getting close to an effective result without healthy tissue death."

"I'll be impressed when you do complete your trials," Carlisle finished wrapping the wound and took note of it's progressive healing. "Your wound is healing quite nicely, it shouldn't be too long from now before you can stop with the dressings."

"Awesome," James grinned. "Thanks for changing it so many times. I'm a big baby when it comes to stuff like this," he ran his hand through his hair and blushed lightly.

"It's not a problem. Now get your shower, I'll be back tonight to change it again."

"Thanks, man."