FIVE

Doctor James Monroe arrived in the emergency department at approximately 0340 on Tuesday morning. He was unconscious, diaphoretic, tachypnic, and hypotensive. James was then attached to a monitor and a nonrebreather face mask was provided to increase oxygen intake while lines were being set up to provide the various medication he needed but could not take orally due to his state of consciousness.

His brother was along side him clad in plaid pyjama pants and a black t shirt, no shoes, he had clearly jumped from bed and rushed to the hospital at the first sign of trouble, as necessary with septic shock. He wanted to jump in with the team, to provide the dopamine and accessory agents, to increase the oxygen saturation and heart rate without causing damage. All he could do was wait and monitor the telemetry screen, though he could not report anything and chart is as he would his own patient.

Carlisle was the leading physician on the case. He grabbed the call when it came in and it was appropriate to do so considering his relationship to the patient in regards to the previous care provided. Any wound as serious as his would warrant close observation for signs of sepsis; any wound at all, for that matter. There was always a chance, no matter how small, to contract the illness as it spread through the blood stream.

James' case was caught quickly. As a matter of fact, if Jeffery hadn't worked on a septic case a week ago, he may not have noticed the early signs he had researched along with the previous patient's findings. James would survive, but they had to work quick and carefully in order for him to do so. He was lucky, he had the most experienced physician in all of the area working on him, he was in good hands.

Jeffery, on the other hand, was not. He kept wringing his fingers through his short hair and rubbing his face and neck. Eventually instead of rubbing, his nails trailed up and down his arms. They were short but they could still do a decent amount of damage. He stood, did not sit, to the side as he watched the entire process, the entire team monitor and provide management for the care. Jeffery would nod his head blankly at questions asked while staring at his brother lying in a hospital bed attached to so many wires. In all of his schooling he had been told to address and care for the patient as if they were his family, he did not understand that until now.

Worry and fear knotted in his stomach as he continued to move, fidget, and wrestle with the fatigue coming over his own self. He watched and waited, never moving his feet, while monitoring every screen around his sibling. The oxygen saturation, the telemetry screen, the IV pumps and the lines themselves; even the urine output did not go unnoticed. Each piece of the puzzle could not go ignored. Jeffery wondered for a second only what he would have done had nothing been able to distract him from the matter at hand.