f i v e

The crowd was like a force of nature as they tore their way through anything and anyone stopping them. Even a few of their own people were trampled in all the chaos, their screams and the last few moments of their lives lost in the noise of the crowd.

Like weeds in the spring, the crowd was growing by the second. There were even those in the crowd who weren't in city square and had merely heard of the going-ons. Clearly, they didn't want to be left out.

Seeing as how the crowd would soon expand to where they were hiding and make a fatal discovery, Remi turned to Killure. "We need to get to the top of one of these buildings. We aren't safe down here."

He pursed his lips, as though her request was an annoyance to him. The seconds ticked by. Finally, just as she was beginning to think he would not do it, Killure let out a long sigh and wrapped a strong arm around her waist. With a few powerful flaps of his wings, they were off the ground and quickly rising. For having such big wings, he was surprisingly silent this time as he brought them to the top of the roof.

Remi was just thinking of how grimy and dirty the roof was when Killure released her abruptly, causing her to lose her balance and fall on her butt. The coldness of the roof quickly soaked into her bones. Killure began cracking up under his breath, his dark blue eyes glinting with amusement.

"Seriously?" Remi hissed angrily, standing up and attempting to wipe off the grime off her backside. "Do you know how many outfits I managed to grab before fleeing Merricrest? Hmm? The answer is, very few! And I haven't had opportunity to get more, considering everyone is trying to kill me! And now you just ruined one of the few I have!"

To top it all off, Remi felt a big drop of rain hit her forehead. 'Oh, fantastic,' she thought angrily.

Killure smirked at her and held a finger over his lips in a gesture that told her to lower her voice. His complete lack of reaction to her words was only more infuriating. He should apologize, or at least pretend to be apologetic.

After a few more heavy drops of rain hit her, Remi glanced up to see that the sky had become even darker than before.

The amused grin on Killure's face spread so wide it seemed as though it might split his face apart. Remi glared at him with all her might, trying to channel all her annoyance into one heated gaze. "I'm waiting for an apology."

Killure tilted his head lazily to the side and glanced at her through half-lidded eyes. With a sickly sweet voice, he murmured, "My sincerest apologies, doll." Though he was claiming to be sincere, his words were dripping with insincerity.

Remi held her glare for a few more moments before tearing it away from him and walking closer to the side of the building. She crouched down and leaned over the edge. This crowd was here for her. "They think I'm inside the casino and are trying to get to me." The thought sent her rapidly-beating heart right up into her throat. 'What if they get in and hurt Uncle Shaam or Soren?' Remi thought, becoming frantic as the seconds ticked by.

Killure kicked a large stone from the grime-covered rooftop and watched with animated interest as it sailed steadily downwards and then landed hard on the head of a particularly thin man, who instantly collapsed. "What's the plan, doll?" he asked without sparing her a glance. He didn't seem the least bit worried about their predicament.

"I--I don't..." she broke off, unsure.

A startling realization hit her. For once, Remi didn't know what to do. She didn't have any logical ideas, or even crazy ideas. Just nothing.

The realization sent panic racing down her spine. She hated not knowing what to do and being without a plan. Immediately, she tried raking her thoughts for ideas, but to no avail; she couldn't think clearly while she was panicking. Her heart beat hard and fast in her chest while her breathing grew steadily more erratic.