s i x

A/N: hey, if you've been reading this book for a while, go re-read the end of chapter three once more! I forgot to add certain details about Jace's men that pertain to this chapter. Other than that, no new news! I hope you enjoy!

Remi bucked and writhed beneath the impossibly strong grip of the terrifying creature, but it was too strong, and she was too panicked to focus on attaching him with her energy. She tried reaching for it within herself, only for it to float just out of reach, her concentration severely lacking.

Just as the hundreds of teeth began to descend on her neck, the creature disappeared into thin air. A pile of ashes rained down upon Remi's torso, instantly becoming stuck to her body when the rain came into contact. 'Uncle Shaam?' she thought fleetingly.

Horrified, Remi scrambled backwards towards Killure, who was already racing to her side. She closed her eyes tight and pressed herself against his side, which was just as wet as her clothes. It took everything in her power to not bury her head in him. Forcing her eyes open, her heart froze in her chest at the terrifying sight before her.

A hoard of Razors were slowly approaching them, their gaping jaws taking up most of their face and revealing their many rows of pointed teeth, with steaming saliva dripping out of the corners of their mouths. Rain dripped down their abnormally broad, hunched-over shoulders, spilling down to muscular, blue-skinned chests. White lightning cracked the sky in half as it forked down from the heavens to the dark earth beneath, painting the Razors in terrifying silhouettes.

Remi had never seen a Razor outside of an auction before. The small part of her mind that wasn't paralyzed by fear remembered that the last auction she'd gone to was in the Glass Museum, where her father had bought Killure for her. There had been a couple Razors up for purchase then, but they were quickly sold. There were very few Razors who had their freedom, mostly due to the fact that they were typically unable to control their lust for blood. Most became overwhelmed by the smell of even the slightest drop and would attack friend, foe, or stranger on instinct. Very few were able to control themselves.

Killure stretched out his arm in front of Remi protectively, but it was shaking. In fact, his entire body was shaking. Without thinking, she looked up at him, expecting to find an expression similar to her own on his face.

What she didn't expect to see was his lips curled up in a feral grin. His shoulders were trembling from suppressed laughter, his free hand clutching his aching side. There was a dangerous, predatory glint in his stormy eyes as he faced them head-on without a single ounce of fear.

"Ah, looks like some fish escaped the sea!" Killure announced loudly before snickering. Their black, beady eyes were spaced far apart on their faces, but they turned their heads slightly to the side to eye him. He continued, "Where I'm from, we fry fish like you over a fire then eat you."

He started forwards, but Remi latched her fingers onto his arm and shouted, "Wait!"

With her heart pounding impossibly fast and painfully against her rib cage, Remi took a few brave steps forwards. The rest of the crowd would be upon them soon so she had to be quick. These Razors must be after the bounty on her head if they were all traveling together like this.

Holding her hands out in front of her in a non-threatening manner, she shouted against the howling wind and rain splattering loudly against the rooftop. "What are you being paid? I can pay you even more to walk away."

Before everyone on Merricrest realized the Designers were all missing and their estate was destroyed, Remi had made a quick trip back to their crumbling mansion. She'd gone into her father's office to find the safe where their money was kept. There were multiple safes buried within the maze of their house, but the one in the office was all she knew about.