Background Information

On September 4, 1981, twenty-year-old Mariah Carey gave birth to her first daughter, Beyoncé Giselle Carey-Calaway.

The father Mark Calaway, at twenty-four, then married his first wife between 1989 and 1999, and they had a son, born in 1993.

Mark wanting to please his wife chose to abandon his daughter with Mariah. After the two divorced, Mark still did not acknowledge his daughter, Beyoncé but Mariah had him placed on child support.

Calaway married his second wife, Sara, in 2000. In 2001, Sara made televised appearances with the WWE (then known as the WWF) as part of a feud between Calaway and Diamond Dallas Page, in which she was acknowledged as Calaway's wife. The couple had two daughters together before divorcing in 2007. In 2010, he married former wrestler Michelle McCool, and the couple's first child was born in 2012.

Carey began dating Tommy Mottola while recording Music Box and married him on June 5, 1993. After the release of Daydream and the success that followed, Carey began focusing on her personal life, which was a constant struggle at the time. Carey's relationship with Mottola began to deteriorate, due to their growing creative differences in terms of her albums, as well as his controlling nature. On May 30, 1997, the couple announced their separation, with their divorce finalized by the time Mottola remarried on December 2, 2000. Carey was in a three-year relationship with singer Luis Miguel from 1998 to 2001.

Carey met actor and comedian Nick Cannon while they shot her music video for her song "Bye Bye" on an island off the coast of Antigua. On April 30, 2008, Carey married Cannon in The Bahamas. At 35 weeks into her pregnancy, she gave birth to their fraternal twins, Moroccan and Monroe, on April 30, 2011, via Cesarean section. Monroe is named after Marilyn Monroe; Moroccan is named after the Moroccan decor room in Carey's apartment where Cannon proposed to her.

In August 2014, Cannon confirmed he and Carey had separated a few months earlier. He filed for divorce on December 12, 2014. It was finalized in 2016.

On January 21, 2016, Carey and Australian billionaire James Packer announced that they were engaged. By October, however, they had ended their engagement.

Beyoncé was born in Houston, Texas, Beyoncé performed in various singing and dancing competitions as a child. She rose to fame in the late 1990s as the lead singer of the R&B girl group Destiny's Child, the group became one of the best-selling girl groups in history. Their hiatus saw Beyoncé's theatrical film debut in Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) and the release of her first solo album, Dangerously in Love (2003). The album established her as a solo artist worldwide, debuting at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart and earning her five Grammy Awards. The album also featured the Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles "Crazy in Love" and "Baby Boy".

Beyoncé started a relationship with Jay-Z after they collaborated on " '03 Bonnie & Clyde", which appeared on his seventh album The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse (2002). Beyoncé appeared as Jay-Z's girlfriend in the music video for the song, fuelling speculation about their relationship but they broke up before their relationship could ever be confirmed.

On April 4, 2008, Beyoncé got married but her husband's identity has never been revealed.

Beyoncé suffered a miscarriage around 2010 or 2011, describing it as "the saddest thing" she had ever endured. She returned to the studio and wrote music to cope with the loss. In April 2011, Beyoncé traveled to Paris to shoot the album cover for 4, and she unexpectedly became pregnant in Paris. In August, Beyoncé attended the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards, at which Beyoncé performed "Love on Top" and ended the performance by revealing she was pregnant.

Her appearance helped that year's MTV Video Music Awards become the most-watched broadcast in MTV history, pulling in 12.4 million viewers; the announcement was listed in Guinness World Records for "most tweets per second recorded for a single event" on Twitter, receiving 8,868 tweets per second and "Beyonce pregnant" was the most Googled term the week of August 29, 2011. On January 7, 2012, Beyoncé gave birth to a daughter, Blue Ivy, at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. Beyoncé gave birth to a second daughter, D'nai, on 17 December 2015.

On February 1, 2017, she revealed on her Instagram account that she was expecting twins. Her announcement gained over 6.3 million "likes" within eight hours, breaking the world record for the most liked image on the website at the time.

On July 13, 2017, Beyoncé uploaded the first image of herself and the twins onto her Instagram account, confirming their birth date as a month prior, on June 13, 2017, and the names Rumi and Sir, with the post becoming the second most liked on Instagram, behind her pregnancy announcement. The twins were born at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in California. Rumi, the daughter, was born before Sir, the son.

She wrote of her pregnancy and its aftermath in the September 2018 issue of Vogue, in which she had full control of the cover, shot by photographer Tyler Mitchell.

She would then give birth to her fourth daughter, Tiana, on 18 January 2019. She was very private with her last pregnancy due to several complications.