17. Fairytale

"C'mon, take a seat next to me." Reece calls out to me extending his hands to me and I take them. My steps are slow, unsure of what to say. Maybe I should listen to George and end whatever is between us now before it's too painful. Would we really be able to keep a long distance relationship? Reece is very jealous and I am at a point in my life where I am very insecure of myself and susceptible. 

I sit on the bed under his watchful eye. I can not look at him, I look away. When Reece realizes it, he asks me to look at him. Afraid of the answer, I ask.

"So, what will happen to us?" I can feel the nervousness in Reece's eyes and in the way his hands try to hold mine, tight as if I was going to run away at any moment.

"We could try a long-distance relationship." Reece suggests me with pleading eyes and I have to look down, I can't do this. Reece holds my chin up, connecting our eyes. "I know it's going to be hard, I'm jealous but that's not going to change anything. But we, together, can make it work."

"I can't go through to this everytime we have to say goodbye. This is already too painful for me, I can't keep doing this to myself. And it'll kills us, knowing that we can't be for each other when we need it. I'm not that strong."

I don't want to do it.

I really don't. But it isn't like we have a choice. All I wanted was a good relationship, and I has been fortunate to find a boy that I absolutely adore but in two days, we'll take different directions and I'm not sure how to handle this pain which I feel in my chest. But hopefully, this is the best for the two of us. I pray to God that George is sure about this.

But now, all that is about to end.

Swallowing hard, I say: "Maybe it's best that this thing we have end once you leave, I know I'm going to be screwed up, and maybe I can not forget you in a long time, but it will be for the best."

Reece looks at me confused and seconds later, hurt. And I can not help but think that it's me who is causing him harm. I want to shout that I love him with all my heart, but I can not, I have to accept the fact that this can not go any further. He moves his hands away from mine and my hands begin to feel cold, seeking his warm touch.

"So, that's it. Is it over?" Reece is not crying but because of the way his voice is going out, I know he's avoiding crying in front of me. He looks at me like I've broken his heart but it was bound to break, like it was mine.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want this to happen in the first place, because I knew that it was going to hurt like hell. But I met you and I don't know, it felt so right. Maybe it's the best for us"

"Don't you dare tell me that. You don't get to decide what's best for me. Do you think that it's that easy, saying goodbye and expecting me to get over you?"

"I know, but..."

"No, it's obvious that you do not know."

"Wait, hold up. Do you really think it's that easy for me? Saying these words while my heart's breaking. You're not the only one who is in pain in this room." I take a breath before continuing to speak "I didn't expect to find love here and I didn't want to. Just ask Hannah. Maybe this was a mistake" 

I lie. I do not see another way, maybe if I hurt him it will be easier for him to let go, for him to forget me in the future so he can meet the girl of his dreams even if she is not me. I get up quickly and approach the door. I can not bear to see how he looks at me, how I have broken his heart to pieces.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he calls, rushing to get ahead of me and block my path to the front door. His large figure works as an effective barrier and I stop short, my lips pulled into an irritated frown. 

"You know perfectly well what it means, Reece." His mind is racing, unable to comprehend what I'm saying. "Maybe this just isn't meant to be. Maybe we met in the wrong timing. This has to end. You said it yourself. A long-distance relationship won't work and you know that."

"But I love you, doesn't it matter to you?" He shouts as tears immediately spring to my eyes as I feel my heart stop. It was like the ground slipped away from her feet. His eyes show pure misery and pain, begging her not to believe what she was trying to say.

"And I love you too but we can't just wait for each other, and I can't make you wait for me, it's not fair."

"That's not your decision to make. I don't see the problem with still talking and checking up on each other, it's like being together." I just let out a wet laugh and Reece could practically see me just shaking my head at him.

"But we won't" The pain I feel almost seems physical when reality hits me. "This is a goodbye, Reece. I love you but we both knew that there was no happy ending for us. At least, not now" Reece takes me by the hands, avoiding opening the door and turns me around.

"Could you stay tonight? Even if it's over. One last time, it's all I ask." Reece begs me and although my head is telling to me to run away from here, my heart wants me to stay and knows that I'll probably regret it if I don't stay tonight. So, I just nod.

I go into the bathroom and see clothes stacked on top of the toilet next to a note.

I know you liked my sweater, so I'm giving it to you so you don't forget me. 

See you tomorrow. :) - Your Blakey.

I smile for the message and hug his sweater before putting it on. I'll miss Blakey so much.

I step out slowly and make my way through the darkness of the room to Reece's bed. I cover myself with the blankets but I still feel cold, so without thinking twice I hug Reece by the waist catching him by surprise, but reacts seconds later embracing me. I breathe deeply into their colony and try to save every second of this night in my memory. I wish I could freeze this moment and stay like this forever.

As I lay there in the dark, wrapped up in a blanket with him, I honestly couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be. "Reece," I whisper. He hums in response. "Can I tell you something?"

"Go ahead"

"You have entered my life and messed it up. I had forgotten what it was to truly fall in love and believe me when I tell you that you'll have a piece of my heart wherever I go."

I look up and discover that Reece is looking at the ceiling, perhaps trying to memorize each of my words or looking for some to answer me. One minute after silence, I bury my head on his shoulder and fall asleep, sad to know that tomorrow night, I will sleep on my own.

I wake up with my neck aching and my hand resting on something soft and warm. As my eyes slowly open and register my surroundings. Speaking of Reece, I was half tucked into his side, his slow breathing dusting the side of my neck.

The alarm comes on what feels like seconds later, jolting the two of you awake. Reece groans, rubbing his eyes. I'm already sitting up again, slamming myr hand on the alarm to stop the obnoxious beeping as my heart rate begins to return to normal.

"What time is it?" He moans, halfway through a yawn.

"Um," I check the clock. "8:30. I better get out of here before Miss Parker wakes up." I go quickly to the bathroom and do my morning routine. I don't want Reece to remember me like this. I put on my trousers and sneakers but I stick with Blakey's sweater. It's so warm. I get out of the room and look at Reece trying to stay awake, rubbing his eyes. I approach him and I'm about to give him a kiss on the cheek when he turns to me and my lips land on his. Seconds later, I pull away because someone's knocking at the door. Reece gives me a small smile before laying in the bed again.

I open the door and greet the boys who are already dressed up. I embrace tightly Blake who smiles on my neck.

"Thank you for the sweater. I'll always take it with me." I whisper in his ear and pull away slowly. Blake enters the room, leaving me with George who looks at me with a half smile.

"It's over. Goodbye George." I exit the room and tears start to fall down.

It's over.