Chapter 1

Dana Scully's point of view...

       The day was September 4th, 2018.  Tuesday morning, the first day of school. Was I excited? Yes and no. I was starting my senior year, so that's always exciting, but there's also the stress of the extremely high expectations that all teachers and parents have for you. Especially my father. When it came to my sister, he could care less about how she did in school, but for me and my two brothers, he cared about that more than anything else. But back to the question. Excited about school? I'll give it a sure, maybe, kind of? Sure. The only reason I'm excited is because I'll get to see Monica, my best friend. My only friend. She had literally just returned from a camping trip yesterday. We haven't talked for almost two weeks, and I needed her to give me some sort of entertainment.

Monica was way more popular than I was, had more friends, went to parties, had and still has a boyfriend, but she was also extremely smart, loyal, kind and everything you would want in a best friend. I loved her with all my heart. I loved her because even though she had several times and reasons to leave me in the dust, she never did.

I sighed, hearing the loud, obnoxious banging on my door which could be one of the three men in my house. I opened it slowly to see my father. I continued to brush out my short orange/red hair and looked back to the mirror.

"Hi dad."

I didn't look at him. Not even through the mirror. I didn't like looking into his eyes. In fact, he frightened me at times. Most of the time, actually. I know he always means well but that doesn't give him any excuse for when he comes home late at night drunk to yell at my mother. She always says he's just stressed about work, but she doesn't notice that I listen and that I see the tears forming in her eyes as she talks about it. All of my siblings do, but we're all too frightened of what he would do if we said anything. So we keep quiet.