Prolouge

"May the gates of heaven still accept this lost soul"

Her eyes followed the casket as it was lowered into the ground, she never seen that man in her life. Her green eyes looked up to see her mother balling out in tears, She didn't understand it. Why was she crying? People aren't crying...But they did look sad. Her mother was the only one crying. "Mama, why are you crying?" The brown-skinned girl looked up at her mother. "Don't worry Jade" Her mother said through the tears. "Everything will be okay baby" Jade didn't understand it, why was she crying over the mysterious man? Daddy didn't look like that. Jade rubs her nose, she was starting to become cold the more she stood outside in the snowy weather of North Yankton. 

Jade turns her head to look at the people behind her, her half-siblings. Her dad use to bring her around them all the time, Tracey use to do her hair as they both watched Jimmy play video games. But behind them was what really caught her eye, a strange man in the gateway smoking a cigarette with sunglasses. She recognized him right off the bat, she wanted to run over. The man only gave her a smile and slowly put a finger on his lips. This confused Jade, why didn't he want to get her? But yet she found herself complying and slowly turning her head forward. Her mother had finally stopped crying and was wiping the mascara off her cheeks, she gives Jade a smile as she reaches down to pick her up.

 "Come on, Do you want something to eat?" She rests the girl's body on her hip as they started walking past her half-siblings. "Bye Bye" Jade waves as they walked past her half-siblings, Tracy smiles as she waves back while Jimmy crossed his arms, she couldn't help but feel like something was off about them. Jade turned her attention back forward as they were walking to the gateway, the man was gone but she could still see his snow prints from where he stood. A black suburban pulled up right in front of Jade and her mother when they were trying to cross the street, the side doors opened and the two of them were swarmed by men in black suits. 

"Angelica Gardener?" One of the men spoke to her mother, the panic was set in her eyes seeing the situation she was in. "Yes?" Her mother had sat her down onto the ground to get a better look at the man in front of her. "Who may you be?" "I need to have a few words with you"

Jade looked up as her mom was lead away by the man in the black suit. "Hey, pretty eyes" Jade looked over at the man in the brown suit, She lit up seeing someone she finally knew. "Mister Davey!" Davey chuckles before crouching down to her height. "How about we go sit in the car? Don't you think it's a little cold?" Jade nodded quickly, she could feel the snot sliding down her nose. Davey picked Jade up and walked over to the black suburban. It was all peaceful until she heard her mother shouting. 

"Give me my child!" Jade looked out the car door as Davey started fastening her seatbelt. "Mommy?" Jade whispered, she leaned forward to get a better look but Davey had closed the door in her face. "I am a fit mother!!" She could hear her mother scream from outside. Jade looked outside the window, her mother was getting pulled away from the car. The girl tried to open the door but it wouldn't budge, she couldn't comprehend why. 

"Mommy...?" The tears filled up in her eyes, she lost sight of her mother through the snowstorm. The black truck was starting to fill up with the men in suits again, Davey sitting next to her and holding her hand. The rest of the day was a blur, she couldn't remember what happened. She just...arrived somewhere warm and sunny.  

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 ⏣ 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

Jade stares in the vanity mirror, it sucks when it's summer. She's getting darker and painfully noticeable that she's different from her family. The loud noise in her house faded in her head, arguments were everything normal to her now. Jade never gave the house anything to argue with, she's not an argumentative person. And Tracey and James grew to hate her for it.

She was snapped out of her daze, the vibration on her desk snapping her back. She answers the phone without looking at the name. "Hello?" She says sweetly, "Bruh, Who da fuck got Gem Phone?" Jade rolls her eyes hearing the familiar voice in her ear. "What the fuck you want Stretch? You out now, nigga?" Stretch chuckles. "I like you! I thought Lamar and Frank were bluffin when they say you rose up lil homie!" Jade giggles hearing his voice. "I expect you to make good choices. Don't start shit wit da ballers." Jade hears footsteps walking towards her room. "Call you later, gotta go" Jade drops her phone into her lap and stares at herself in the mirror again, trying to act in a daze. "Jade?" She moves her head over her shoulder, glancing back at Michael. Jade giggles quietly, "They turn against you, it brought you here father?" Michael shakes his head. "Just worried for you, that's all" Jade truly took after her father, every swift move, hidden secret, and tenderness, well that's a lie. She doesn't know who she gets her tenderness from.

"Well, Dinner is downstairs. You need to come to socialize, with them more" Michael added much to  Jade's dismay. "Dad...You know they don't like me. I'm different than them!" Michael walks into the room and closes the door. "How are you different? Tell me!" Jade inhaled through her nose and out through her mouth. "Do you have all day?" Michael sits on the bed, crossing his arms. "No, I do not" Jade snickers. Another reason she liked her father. "One, we don't share the same mother. Two, they dislike me cause I don't share hate for you! Amanda dislike me cause...Cause I'm not her child dad. I'm very different..." Jade turns back to her mirror, frowning. Michael stood up and walked up behind her. He rubs her head, sighing. "Dad, me and you have a great relationship. I know, but you and the others? Not so much...go bond with them" Jade props her hand on her desk. It was silent between the two for a few minutes before Michael left. Jade sighs, grabbing her purse and car keys. She grabs her phone and checks the time, six pm. It shouldn't take her long to do what she needs to do. Jade walks down the steps quietly, creeping out the front door. She was relieved hearing the arguing to voice over the door closing. She gets in the Jeep and starts it up, wasting no time to pull off.

She pulls out her phone, making a call. "Ay, I'm coming thru. What y'all doin?" "Frank and Lamar makin bread. Ain't seen you in a minute Gem" Jade rolls her eyes sitting in the stop light. "I had to lay low. Be a good daughta" The man on the other line snickered. "Do we have you out past yo bedtime? We just have a little problem...." Jade rose her eyebrow. "The way you said lil, means it's big..." Jade starts driving when the light turned green.

"We have a rat problem. And we know you're the best person to get rid of it..."

(REWRITTEN)