five

Johnny kills the engine, his hands gripping onto the steering wheel. He looks up at the windows on the second floor of his home. Each one has been covered by curtains and show no sign of anyone inside being awake. It's just gone past 11pm and he knows his kids will be asleep therefore they won't have to see him bruised and bloody. Kenzie on the other hand will have a fit when she sees the state he's gotten himself into.

Deciding that he needs to face the music sooner or later, the tired guy climbs out of the same jeep he's had since high school. He can more than afford a new one but it's sentimental to him. It's special and holds lots of memories he's not ready to part with yet.

Unlocking the front door, Johnny takes his shoes off and then peels his leather jacket off of himself, hanging it up on one of the many hooks beside him. He can hear the sound of dishes cluttering together, giving him a nudge that Mackenzie is stress cleaning. Why else would she be doing the dishes at this time of night.

"Babe?" Johnny calls, throwing his keys into the bowl in the hallway. There's a silence before the sound of footsteps can be heard coming closer.

Mackenzie rounds the corner and sighs with relief when she sees that Johnny has come home. She's been worried sick all day and had to deal with four kids by herself.

"Thank god you're okay. You do know how to work a cell phone yes? And you know how to pick up when I'm calling you all damn day and you- oh my god! john what happened". Mackenzie gasps upon seeing the blood stains on her husbands T-shirt and the swollen lip not to mention the cuts and bruises that are starting to form on his face.

As Johnny explains to his wife the events that happened earlier today at Carson's apartment, from the top of the stairs, Maisy listens carefully. She feels no sympathy for Carson, he deserves everything he got. But she can't help but feel happy that Johnny cared enough to go see him. Does that mean that he's not mad at her for being here? Does it mean that he's accepting her? Too many unanswered questions float around in her mind aimlessly until she decides to give them privacy, returning back into the guest bedroom to try her best to fall asleep.

Mackenzie cleans up Johnny's messy face. She takes his shirt off of him and throws it in the trash. He has several other plain white tee's he can wear, he won't miss that one and anyways, she can't be bothered trying to get the stains out.

As John sits on one of the four bar stools, he lets his mind wonder away, letting his thoughts flood his brain as he tries to make sense of everything. His life was perfect just a few days ago. It was simple and he had a routine he loved. Now he's not even sure what to do.

Mackenzie comes away from cleaning the kitchen when she notices her husband day dreaming. She smiles sadly at him although he takes no notice.

"John. Talk to me" she pleads, pulling him closer to her. She lets his head rest on her chest, her arms around his neck and her hands playing with his locks of dirty blonde hair.

Johnny sighs, adjusting their position. He pulls Mackenzie onto his lap and she sits there perfectly. Her arms still tightly around his neck and her forehead resting against the side of his head.

"Kenz, what happens now? I told him never to come near her again but what happnes now?" He questions, turning his face to look into her eyes. They are filled with uncertainty.

Taking her hand and cupping his cheek, Mackenzie places a soft kiss on his lips. She pulls away only slightly. Her heart beating fast and eyes focused on him.

"What happens now is that we take it one step at a time, one day at a time. We talk to each other about serious decisions and we don't storm away from each other at times like this. We've been each other's person for a long time now John. I want to continue being your person for as long as I can but we are a team and you need to remember that no matter what happens with any problem that comes our way, we solve it together, as a team".

Nodding his head, knowing that she's absolutely right, Johnny kisses his wife, his way of letting her know that he hears her loud and clear.

"Let's go to bed. The kids have tired me out and I really want you to hold me and kiss my shoulder and tell me you love me till I fall asleep and remind me that everything going to be okay" Mackenzie whispers, closing her eyes.

Johnny stands to his feet, Mackenzies legs wrapping around his waist and he takes them both to bed after turning the lights off and double checking that the doors are locked.

When both have changed and are ready for bed, Mackenzie gets in on her side, Johnny doing the same on his. They reach over and turn off both bedside lamps before meeting in the middle, Johnny being the big spoon and Mackenzie moulding into him perfectly like always.

"Kenzie" Johnny mumbles.

With her eyes still closed, Mackenzie only hums in response, resisting the urge to fall asleep completely.

"Everything is going to be okay you know. We have each other and our beautiful kids. This isn't going to break us, if anything it'll make us stronger. We'll talk tomorrow and come to a mutual agreement okay?" He assures her, gently kissing her exposed shoulder.

Mackenzie nods, "Nothing is nor will ever break us. We've been through too much together. I love you Johnny".

"I love you more Mackenzie".

_____________________________

do y'all hate me?

i re read this series today and fell in love with it all over again. im so mad at myself for being a bitch and not sticking with it. i had absolutely no trouble writing this chapter, it was like it just flowed in my blood and i KNEW what i was supposed to do.
so yeah, it's continuing.