Peace of Mind

I understand about indecision

But I don't care if I get behind

People livin' in competition

All I want is to have my peace of mind

Dean and Destiel sat in silence for several minutes, watching each other. As Dean studied him, Des could feel his mouth dry. He started to regret telling his father the truth so soon. He wished he was able to go back in time like his friends and Castiel and change everything.

"So, uh... How exactly do you know that it's me?" Dean finally asked, clearing his through and shifting in his chair uncomfortably. Des' mouth twitched with a tiny, embarrassed smile. "I had my DNA tested. I found Sam and told him I wanted to, well, help. " he answered with a little shrug. Dean continued watching his newly found son.

"I gotta admit, I can see it." he sighed finally, leaning back. He looked down at the floor in thought, then flashed his eyes back up to Des. "Who's the baby momma?" he asked with slightly furrowed brows. Destiel's face went hard. "They aren't in the picture anymore." he said coldly. Dean put his hands up in surrender. "Hey, I get it. I know the feeling." he replied.

Destiel loosened up a bit again. But Dean had more questions. "Wait, how do you look so old?" he asked suspiciously. Des gave him a half smile.

"I'll tell you once you're back to helping the good guys again." he compromised. Dean narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips thoughtfully. "Alright. The minute my heart starts pumping, you better spill."

~~~

Sam found them in the morning, Des' feet on the table as the little family chatted. Dean had asked about Destiel's likes and dislikes. Apparently, Sam had been right. Dean and Des were very alike. Sam could see how glad Dean was to have a kid like him, even if the demon tried not to show it just yet.

"Heya, Sammy." Dean greeted, "I'm gonna kick your ass for keeping this a secret. Again." Des smiled at his uncle apologetically while Sam let out a small laugh. It felt good to laugh after living in the dark for so long. He didn't even notice when girls flirted with him. He winced mentally when he realized that he probably hurt a few feelings.

"Hey, Dean." he replied a bit hesitantly. Des let his feet drop and stood, bracing his hands on his thighs to get up on his feet. "How about you eat, and then we'll proceed with curing Dean?" he suggested. Sam nodded, and instantly felt hungry. He had been asleep for almost 12 hours, after all.

The pair strolled to the kitchen, and Sam felt the relief of getting his brother back already. Des made Sam sit at the smaller table as he fried up some sausage and eggs before spilling them into tortillas. "Here you are." Des chirped, sitting across from the moose man. Sam smiled at his nephew and gave his thanks just before taking a massive bite out of his burrito.

"So how exactly do you know how to cook so good?" he asked around his food. Des smiled at him again. "I get bored, and my father always provides me with whatever I need to be entertained." he explained. Sam nods slowly, understanding. "He really loves you." he stated, even if it was obvious.

Des shrugged. "I suppose. Though I think he loves his old Dean more."