STAR WARS - THE CURSE OF THE FORCE

STAR WARS:

THE CURSE OF THE FORCE

(FORMERLY STAR WARS BATTLE ROYALE)

SECOND DRAFT

WRITTEN BY ROB LOCKETT

© COPYRIGHT 2008

ROB LOCKETT

SYNOPSIS

It has not been long since the fall of the Jedi and the rise of the Empire. As the few remaining Jedi scatter themselves across the galaxy, the tenacity of the galactic empire increases. Led by Darth Sidious' new apprentice, Darth Vader, the last remaining Jedi are taken captive and sent to a planet on the Outer rim to partake in a contest with the ultimate prize: survival.

At the centre of this arena is Pastor Yendor, an exiled Jedi, whose faith in not just the force but the goodwill of the galaxy has rendered her an enemy of the Empire. Forced into hiding, she is finally caught by clone troopers in a small commune delivering a sermon of hope. Before she gives herself over to the invading troopers, she asks that Kamin, a loyal student of Pastor's, deliver her latest sermons to Mon Mothma, for distribution to the new rebellion.

Another cursed Jedi is a man named Kane Duros, a man whose force powers have driven him away from Coruscant; his home planet. Kane is forced to move to Duntooine, where he attempts a clandestine existence, with the aid of a family of Jedi-Sympathisers. He is inevitably discovered and forced into a desperate battle in order to allow his new family a chance to flee from Vader's clutches.

The remaining Jedi are rounded up and fitted with electronic collars, only to find out that they are fitted with explosives, which will detonate within 24 hours if the there is more than one Jedi standing. The last one will become the emperor's new apprentice. With Jedi slain in the opening moments, forces are quickly divided up and those who were once allies quickly become bitter rivals. Pastor Yendor and Kane Duros gather whoever they can to launch a desperate plan to end the contest and free the remaining Jedi.

Torn between helping his fallen brethren and enacting his last act of vengeance, Kane finds himself slipping into darker realms of the force, leading Kane to sever all loyalties to Pastor and the Jedi Order. The two Jedi become embroiled in a battle to the end, realizing that only death offers freedom in the new Empire.

FADE IN.

1. EXT. SPACE ­

We focus on the empty void that is space. The only noise that penetrates the silence is the voice of PASTOR YENDOR.

YENDOR (V.O.)

The dark side of the force spreads across the galaxy like the dark veil of night. The first tremor in the force hits you, collapses you and leaves you wishing you were never born. You regain your senses and wake up in another time. The dark times...

(A Pause)

At first there was confusion among the Jedi and then we heard what really happened to the JediTemple. Those that couldn't leave Coruscant in time were executed by death squads or given up by citizens fearing the same fate as the Jedi.

2. Int. Kane duros' hideout - Duntooine

KANE DUROS plays a game of chance dice with TWO CHILDREN. THEY ALL sit on an old wooden floor with a canvas mat rolled out in front of them. KANE is in his early thirties but the black lumps beneath his eyes suggest an ancient man. The room is sparsely decorated with antiquated pieces of furniture which compliment the drab clothing that KANE wears. The outside resembles a small hut which is surrounded by scores of dwellings that appear identical at a first glance.