Chapter One: Part Two

The large metal doors of the base opened with a loud creak and in walked three of the community members Alan Brice, Sarah Millen and Scott Evers who had been out searching for supplies

The large metal doors of the base opened with a loud creak and in walked three of the community members Alan Brice, Sarah Millen and Scott Evers who had been out searching for supplies. Almost everyone had gathered out to the front entrance. In the world now if anyone left and came back it was a miracle and most people enjoyed seeing what was being brought in no one however expected them to drag in a tall stranger with them.

It was rare finding any other people in the world now but there he was a wild looking man covered in dirt, blood and grime and laughed when they shoved him into the base.

"What is this?" Emmy's father Daniel asked stepping onto the porch of the home he and Emmy shared. It was one of the only houses that sat close to the entrance of the place. He was somewhat the leader of their little community of survivors.

"We found him while we were out" Alan one of the scouts a tall, thin man in his mid-thirties shouted as he grabbed the young man by the collar of his dirty shirt.

"I see" was all that Daniel said as he began approaching the newcomer.

The young man seemed to of had enough when Alan pushed him once more as the man swung around suddenly and a fist flew through the air and with force knocking Alan back, he quickly clutched his nose which seemed to now be bleeding as the blue-eyed, wavy-haired man tilted his head from side to side before the other two scouts quickly grabbed him.

"You wanna fight? Wanna fight? Huh?" The young man said as the other scouts yanked his arms and holding him back as Alan steadied his footing. He was like a rabid dog ready to bite whoever stepped to close.

"Get Emmy inside" Daniel looked to the corner of his dark eyes directing his words to Brady. While the tall blonde kept her eyes on Scott who she desperately wanted to run to but her glance flicked to Daniel who was holding a stern look.

"But dad... I have to go help in the infirmary" Emmy whined. The day the world turned to crap was also the day Emmy got her acceptance letter to Yale University one step closer to her dreams which were quickly crushed so he had found herself useful studying under their little towns doctor. Emmy may never get an actual degree but she could still learn.

"Emmy.." Daniel groaned as his petite daughter faced him with large puppy like unblinking eyes "fine... Can you walk with her to the infirmary."

Brady gave a single nod before her eyes fell on the stranger "Great we have a crazy one" Brady spoke under her breath as she began to walk beside the smaller brunette across the dirt.

"They are taking him away..." Emmy narrated as she couldn't help but watch over her shoulder at what was going on. The two of the three scouts escorting him across the grounds.

"Great, so we are keeping him here" Brady couldn't look more unimpressed as she rolled her emerald eyes.

"Looks like it... Maybe he isn't so bad" Emmy tried to stay positive she found herself a lot being the camp cheerleader which always equalled out with her cynical friend that was Brady.

"Yeah... Seems like a great guy" Brady spoke sarcastically.

"I'm gonna find out" Emmy held a wide mischievous grin as she watched the walk across the yard with the hostile young man.

"Emmy no" Brady more warned her friend shooting her a look of concern.

"I'm sorry did you say run out an investigate? Cause that's what I heard" Emmy shouted back to the blonde as she ran off but Brady just groaned knowing she couldn't stop her.

Emmy knew where the holding rooms were all she had to do was find which one and in itself was easy to do. The small building which used to be an office building. There they were in what used to be a lawyers office at least that is what they assumed when they went through the paperwork. Her father sitting across from the slender, tall man. Daniel's arms stretched out on the table and his hands clutching one another as the young man sat across from him, his sky blue eyes seemed to have a wildfire in them but they seemed to stare vacantly at the wooden desk.

"What's your name?" Daniel asked his dark eyes watching the strange young man.

"Troy, Troy Otto" he answered flatly eyes still staring.

"What were you doing out there?" Daniel spoke his voice soft and more curious than demanding.

"Going for a walk" he answered blue eyes lifting from the table and flashing a large grin.

"Well, why were you alone?" Daniel asked.

"Because they died... Everyone dies" his eyes seemed to wander back to the table his words seemed to take so much out of him.

"We can let you go if you want? Go back out on your own" Daniel spoke surprisingly patient with the young man but Troy didn't answer instead he looked back at the medium built middle-aged man.

"Have you ever thought about killing yourself?" Troy suddenly asked to Daniel's surprise "you had the gun" Troy's hands moved suddenly making Daniel get ready to pull his weapon but Troy only held out his hand and shaped it as though he was holding a gun "but... You couldn't pull the trigger" Troy's blue eyes stared at his hand as though a gun actually rest in it "Ever have that?" He side glanced Daniel who just looked at the man nervously.

"Okay.. how about we do this" Daniel took matters upon himself "Alan! Marshall!" He called for the men outside one of the men who had brought Troy in. "Take Troy here get him cleaned up and checked out with the doc then some clothes and food. He can stay in holding for tonight. We will figure what to do with him tomorrow" Daniel figuring Troy wasn't in his right frame of mind at that moment and he certainly couldn't live with the guilt if anything happened no matter how disturbed the man seemed.

Emmy watched outside the window as they escorted the newcomer from the room leaving Daniel sitting there arching his arms and rubbing them over his balding head wondering what they had gotten themselves into before finally turning to the window. Emmy and Daniel's eyes met he had known she had been there the whole time but choosing only to acknowledge her now and she watched as he mouthed "Go now" she gulped with his stern eyes on her Emmy knew she was going to be in trouble.