chapter four✔︎

Music boomed through the neighborhood, shaking the car's windows. Teenagers crowed the front lawn, grinding, making out with the occasional vomiter.

"I really hate these parties. Why did I even agree to go to this with you?" Joey groaned.

"Because you love me and if I dressed up as Patrick Swayze on my own no one would get it." March said, nodding to her and Joey's costumes. It was true, if people didn't seem them together then they wouldn't get the costume.

Romantic comedies were Joey's guilty pleasure. When a new one came out, Joey and March were there opening night. It had become a tradition between them that neither wanted to break. Tonight, they were dressed as gender bent Baby and Johnny from Dirty Dancing-one of the duo's favorite movies along with Casablanca, Grease, and of course West Side Story.

Joey played with the bottom of his dress. "Normally I'm all for wearing dresses, but what if someone does something cause I am? If you haven't noticed, Tommy H. isn't exactly my biggest fan."

March parked the car and turned to him. "Well, if he does do something, come find me. I'll be with Robin and then we'll beat him up together."

"Promise?" Joey held out his pinkie. March closed her's around his, locking them together.

"Promise. Now, go find yourself a closeted gay jock and make out, then tomorrow he'll deny it. You need a little drama in your life. Life's so boring without it." March dramatically fell into her seat before the two broke out in giggles.

The two got out, March locking her car before walking up to the house. Joey wrung his fingers together, his nerves acting up.

"Maybe, yeah. I'm probably gonna get a drink first though. Go find Robin, I'm okay by myself." Joey said once they entered the house.

"You sure?" Joey nodded. March hugged him, squeezing his arm before departing.

The house was filled with loud, rambunctious, drunk teenagers dressed in all sorts of costumes from a slutty Madonna to half naked construction worker. They danced to the music, grinding and grooving to the beat. The air was thick with the smell of vomit and sweat. Joey couldn't help but feel sorry for the parents who had to come home to this.

Joey walked through the crowds of people, moving his dress around to avoid getting it tugged and spilled on. He spotted Steve and Nancy, grinning at Steve's dorky dancing. The boys' eyes met and Steve winked at Joey, a faint blush spreading across Joey's face.

He continued to the back yard, the sound of chanting catching his attention. A crowd of people stood around something, cheering and yelling. Joey pushed his way through, curious.

"Thirty nine, forty, forty-one, forty-two!" The crowd chanted.

A sweaty, bare chested Billy blew beer into the air and pounded his chest.

"We got ourselves a new Keg King!" Tommy H shouted, handing Billy a cigarette.

The crowd continued to chant Billy's name as he walked with Tommy towards the house, the two passing Joey.

"Nice dress, fag," Tommy spat, glaring at Joey.

Billy and Joey's eyes met, Billy's face staying hard as Joey stared back at him. Billy had heard what Tommy said. But now wasn't the time for that.

The two stayed focused on each other until Tommy pulled Billy away.

Joey breathed in heavily. He was used to the comments and slurs from Tommy. It wasn't uncommon to open his locker to threatening notes and messages. Joey had never done anything wrong or at least he didn't think he did. Of course there was that one time in seventh grade...but that wasn't his fault.