chapter ten✔︎

Steve slammed the trunk shut and glared at Joey who avoided his gaze. Steve grunted.

"We gonna talk about this or what?"

Joey rolled his eyes, sticking his nose in the air and crossing his arms. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Steve huffed and grabbed the boy's arm, dragging him to the other side of the car out of Dustin and Daniel's sight while ignoring Joey's shouts of protest. Steve pushed the boy against the car, trapping him between his arms.

"You need to stop this."

"Stop what?"

Steve narrowed his eyes. "Stop acting like a brat. You're mad. I get that and I can't express how fucking sorry I am. But currently, right now, we're hunting some fucking disgusting monster who eats cats and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just trying to not let these kids get killed. And I can't do that by myself, okay?"

Joey glared back at him. "You sure this isn't all bullshit too?" He wiggled to get out of Steve's grasp but Steve pushed him back, his grip tighter. 

"Stop. It."

Joey gave a heartless laugh. "Why? Just so I can blindly follow your lead? Just so I go along with you until I get yelled at again? Because apparently that happens with all the boys I like. So why should I stop Steve? Why should I stop being mean and cold when you obviously deserve it? You hurt me Steve and now I don't even trust you anymore." Joey shook his head. "So no. I won't stop. Not until I've forgiven you." 

Steve dropped his head, his grip loosening on the boy's arms. He leaned his head into Joey's neck. "I'm sorry, Joey. I truly am. You don't have to forgive me, honestly you probably shouldn't. I just...Nancy and I got into a fight and she was drunk and she called everything bullshit and that said she didn't love me. It all hurt so much Joey and I didn't mean to take any of it out on you. And when I got home my dad was back." 

Joey brushed Steve's sleeves up, frowning at the bruises on Steve's forearms. 

Steve took a deep breath and continued, "He did what he did best and later when I was cleaning up I realized something. I didn't love Nancy. I don't think I ever did. Maybe a little in the beginning but not anymore. I realized I didn't love her. I love you. And I'm not trying to make excuses and trying to get you to forgive me but I want you to know. Okay?"

Joey nodded. "Okay."

-' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' -' - 

Steve crinkled his nose as he dropped the raw meat chunks on the train tracks, feeling glad he was wearing gloves. He nodded as Dustin ranted about a girl and how she had been one of the reasons he'd kept Dart in the first place.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" He knew Joey certainly wouldn't.

Dustin scoffed as if it was the most obvious thing, "An instermensional slug? Because it's awsome," he smiled.

Steve shook his head in disbelief. Dustin was definitely one of a kind. 

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I...I just..."

Steve shook his head. "I don't know. It sounds like you're trying to hard."

"Well, not everyone can have amazing hair, like you."

"It's not about the hair, man. You just gotta...you got to not care. Girls go crazy about that. You just gotta wait."

Dustin turned to him, eager to hear more. "Then what?"

Steve shrugged. "You just wait until, uh..." He threw a handful of meat back behind him, remembering his job. "...until you feel it."

Dustin scrunched his eyebrows. "Feel what?"

"It's like before it's gonna storm, you know? You can't see it, but you can feel it, like this, uh... electricity, you know?"

Dustin nodded in understanding, "Oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere..."

Steve held out a hand, interrupting him. "No, no, no, no, no. Like a...like a sexual electricity."

"Oh."

"You feel that and then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?"

"No, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Romeo."

"Sorry."

"Sure, okay, some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot
and heavy, like a..." Steve paused, looking for the right word. "I don't know, like a lion. But others, you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a...like a ninja."

Dustin nodded as if he had just unlocked all the secrets of the universe. "What about boys? Which one's Joey?"

Steve stopped walking in shock. He mouth went dry. "Wh-what? What do you mean? There's nothing between me and Joey."

Dustin laughed and held up his hand in surrender. "It's okay. I won't tell anyone." 

"Thanks, man. But how'd you know?"

He nodded up the train tracks where Daniel and Joey were laughing and pushing each other. "It's the way you look at him."

Steve smiled and continued walking and throwing meat on the ground.

Dustin nudged him. "Soooo. Which is he?"

Steve shook his head. "Joey...Joey's different. Some boys are like that, though. But Joey...he's one of a kind. He's special."

Dustin smiled. "This girl's special, too, you know. It's just, like, something about her."

Steve stopped again and held out his arm in front of Dustin. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, hey, hey."

Dustin stopped too, running into Steve's arm.

"You're not falling in love with this girl, are you?" Dustin quickly shook his head. "Uh, no. No."

Steve slowly nodded with and eyebrow raised, turning to walk again. "Okay, good. Don't. She's only gonna break your heart, and you're way too young for that shit." 

Dustin looked at the ground. "I won't."

The two walked in silence. Steve watching Joey's back up a ahead and smiling to himself. He looked over at Dustin who's face had dropped. 

Steve saw the boy's expression and immediately felt guilty. "Fabergé."

Dustin pulled his head up. "What?"

The older boy gestured to his hair. "It's Fabergé Organics. Use the shampoo and conditioner, and when your hair's damp...it's not wet, okay? When it's damp you do four puffs of the Farrah Fawcett spray. Now if you tell anyone this, Henderson, your ass is grass." 

"Got it."

"Good. Now let's hurry this up. This meat is making me nauseous."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This chapter was more of a filler and kinda short, I apologize. I hope you guys still liked it. Also this book has like 16k reads, thank you guys! I honestly never thought I was gonna get that much. I know compared to other books it's not a lot but knowing that people actually read my story is good enough for me. Love u guys!

So,

Comment

Vote

Follow

Do whatever your heart desires!

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!