t h i r t e e n

••••••

••••••

FOR SOME REASON KAT FELT BAD AS SHE PROVED TO JOHN OF HIS SUSPICIONS. Maybe it was because Kat knew John was a good man and all he wanted to do was look after his kids. Maybe it was because John looked after her boy with no complaints. Or maybe it was because Kat had a respect for John Shelby - a respect that no one else deserved in her mind.

It was easy to prove Lizzie Stark's supposed guilt. A few drinks with her sister and cousin, and they revealed everything without much thought. It made Kat think about what she revealed when she had too much to drink. She tried not to dwell on it too much, there was no point in doing so.

Kat had remained quiet as she walked home with John, allowing him to think about the events that he just witnessed. She could only imagine the betrayal he was feeling and the inevitable feeling of self-loathing to follow. She wasn't sure if it was right of her to leave him alone but she wasn't sure what else to do.

They paused outside his house and John looked down at his feet. Kat wondered what was going through his head and sighed. Inside she could hear the kids yelling and running around. She winced as she heard something smash on the ground, which was followed by brief silence before the yelling continued again.
John groaned and rubbed his nose with the back of his hand. "I need to go to Tommy's."

"Not a chance." Kat snapped, narrowing her eyes at the man in front of her. "Don't think for a second that I don't know about Thomas' opium habit. The last thing you need is developing one yourself."

Kat looked at John sternly, who looked a bit bewildered by the fact that Kat knew exactly what he was planning. Truthfully, she'd didn't and had only guessed but going by the bewilderment, she could safely say she was correct. She softened her gaze and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You head to bed and I'll put your kids to bed. Get a good night's sleep and forget that today ever happened. You'll need to be sharp tomorrow, you're moving in on the Lee's."

"How the fuck you know that?" John asked but really he wasn't looking for an answer since he opened the door and walked inside without waiting for the answer. Kat always knew everything, it didn't matter how she knew, she just did.

When she entered the house, she was shocked by the noise that came from inside it. It was nearing midnight but by the way the young kids were running about you would have thought it was midday. John didn't even look at her as he headed to his room. He was emotionally drained from the day and truthfully he was a little embarrassed about how little control he had over his children. The house was a mess, dishes hadn't been washed in days, the children were wearing the same clothes they wore two weeks ago. John simply couldn't handle it on his own.

Kat sighed and placed her hands on her hips. "OI!"

Instantly everything quietened after Kat's loud yell. The kids stopped in their tracks, shocked by the arrival of Kat. They knew her from when Kat picked up and left Bobby at their house but she was different to their father. She had a sternness to her which demanded that everything she said must be obeyed, no question asked. So, they stood still and awaited her orders.