¹

Emma always loved school. Not necessarily because she could learn everything there is to know about her subjects, she liked it mostly because she could see her friends and be away from her arguing parents.

So she didn't mind sitting in her brother Steve's car, while he and Nancy Wheeler talked about his writing assignment for a class he's taking. It was only when they started to kiss and exclaim their love for each other that Emma didn't like being around them.

"Okay guys, I'm still here and I would rather not watch you swap spit with each other. I love you both, but please, no PDA." Emma said with a sigh.

However, before either could say anything, the sound of Rock You Like A Hurricane was heard through the school parking lot. With the loud music and the unfamiliar blue Camaro speeding it's way in, everyone got out of their cars, including Emma.

It wasn't everyday that Hawkins got new students, especially ones who come two months after school has already began, and from California at that.

Everyone was watching as two people got out. One being a fiery, red headed girl with a skateboard, who obviously is in middle school. The other being a guy, high schooler. With a blond mullet and a cigarette between his lips. He watched as everyone noticed him, and when he looked at Emma for the first time, he smirked.

Emma smiled and sent him a small wave. She was always told to be a good person and help others. She knew it could be hard for new students to settle in. And for the first time in a long time, the new student felt a real smile crawl up on his face. He sent a flick of the wrist back and made his way into the school.

It wasn't long before everyone made their way to class. While everyone made there way to their high school classes, Emma walked herself to the middle school. She volunteered to be a teacher's assistant for the middle school. She didn't mind seeing bratty little kids for a hour of her day. Anything to get away from the high school drama.

Mr. Clarke's science class was truly a blessing. Emma was glad it was that class she was assigned to, especially when she found out she would get to see all her favorite kids.

Emma was passing out papers, smiling at Dustin Henderson when crossing paths with him.

Dustin is a cute kid. He always made Emma laugh, especially when he said the most hilarious things. She got real close to him and his friends since last year. Will Byers was a great example of the mysteries of Hawkins, Indiana.

Will went missing and was found dead in the quarry last year, then magically appeared out of no where. Some kids even took the liberty of calling him "zombie boy". Will is a good kid. He's so very smart and kind. Emma smiles knowing the small crush he had on her as she notices his blushing cheeks when she walks by.

Emma leaned down towards him with a soft smile, "You okay Will? You been feeling better?"

"Yeah, Em. I'm okay. Don't worry, I'll tell you if anything happens."

Emma always had a soft spot for children. Especially the ones in the middle school's AV club. The club consists of Dustin Henderson, cute kid with the best smile. The blushing Byer's boy, Will. Lucas Sinclair, the very wary-of-anyone child. And finally, the unofficial club leader, Mike Wheeler, Nancy's kid brother.

They're all amazing kids, and too smart for their own good. But Emma loved them for that. She even loved little El, who hasn't been seen since the ending of last year. El, short for Eleven, was a girl that all her favorite boys liked -- one boy liked her a lot more than the others. She was special and she surely knew what she as doing when saving Will and destroying the evil that was in last years memories.

As Emma continued on passing out the science papers, the door opened to reveal the school's principal and the fiery red head from earlier.

"Ah, this must be our new student," Mr. Clarke said enthusiastically as he smiled at the red head.

"Indeed it is. All yours." Said the principal before exiting the classroom of middle schoolers.

The girl tried to get to a seat before Mr. Clarke could say anything, however, she wasn't that lucky, "Hold up! You don't get away that easy. Come on up. Don't be shy. Dustin, drum roll." Mr. Clarke said before looking at the curly haired boy with a bright smile.

Emma couldn't help but let out a small laugh. She could tell the young girl hated all the attention and wanted to just get to her seat as quick as possible.

Dustin started to tap his hands on his books, "Class, please welcome, all the way from sunny California, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage, Maxine!"

"It's Max." The girl mumbled to the teacher. Mr. Clarke looked at the girl confused, "Sorry?"

"Nobody calls me Maxine. It's Max."

Dustin and Lucas look at each other with a shocked smile. They knew this girl had to be the 'MADMAX' that beat Dustin's high score at the arcade game 'DigDug'. "MadMax!" They whispered to one another quietly.

"Oh, well on aboard Max." And with that she made her way quickly and quietly to a desk in the far back left corner, where Emma was standing observing the scene.

Emma handed the young voyager the science paper, "My name's Emma, you can call me Em. I'm Mr. Clarke's assistant for this period. If you need anything let me know. I go to the high school so if you have an emergency, I'll be right next door at any point after the class period. Welcome to Hawkins, Max!"

Emma smiled and patted the shoulder of the young new girl, who seemed to catch the attention of at least half the boys in the classroom.

"Uh, thanks. I'll keep that in mind," Max sheepishly smiled.

Max could already tell that Emma was going to be a major person in her life, especially considering she wasn't all that great at science.

Emma smiled at the girl and made her way to a boy up front who needed help on one of the questions.