7

| CHAPTER SEVEN |

"I HAVE GOOD news and some bad news." Avery sighs then bites into her donut. Being the good friend that she is, she heard about what happened last night and came over with a dozen assorted donuts.

Supposedly, my co-workers and all the dancers were gossiping about me. They said that I threw a temper tantrum and practically fought the security guard to let me talk to Raphael. Even though, that's far from the truth. They also said I wasn't allowed in the club anymore. Which is something I'm not even sure about and it's been eating me alive. I guess I lost my job, but the Will incident isn't a good enough excuse to fire an employee.

But, I guess, whatever Don says goes.

"Lay it on me." After everything that has happened and what I've found out myself whatever Avery tells me is just going to be another issue I'll have to worry about. What's one more, right?

"Well, I'll start with the good news." She sets her donut on the coffee table adjacent to us and sips her coffee dramatically, "I talked to the Sandra and she says that with everything going on she'll let you take a couple days off. To let everyone cool down, you know?"

I nod. Sandra did tell me to leave last night because of the club members/gangsters. This isn't really good news, though. I know Sandra wouldn't let anyone take a day off if it wasn't of family or medical affairs. She works her employees with an iron fist and golden whip. So for her to tell me to take a couple days off is unsettling. Especially if I know the gang members have to cool down.

Will they come after me?

"The bad news is, I talked to Raphael later that night to see if you still had your job and he wants to talk to you. Tonight."

Time stands still and I find it hard to breathe, all of a sudden. The Don wants to speak to me. He's going to fire me, I know it. But I would prefer he do it over the phone not in person. The scared little girl from Utah resurfaced and all I want to do is pack my things and move to another city. A smaller, quieter city where no one, not even Raphael, can find me.

"Avery, I can't." I shake my head, tears brimming my eyes. She doesn't now what I know. She doesn't know that If I walk through his office doors, I might never walk out again but instead dragged out in a body bag.

"Yes, you can." She puts her hands on both of my shoulders, "I know that he's scary, but you have to. If you don't show up he will definitely fire you."

I shrug her off as I stand up from the couch. "Avery, you don't understand."

"What do you mean. What happened, Layla." As I look at her I realize I can't keep this from her. If I don't tell her she'll continue to work with ignorance and won't be cautious to her surroundings. But if I tell her it could get us both killed.

"Layla. What is it." She stands and folds her arms across her chest, seeming uncomfortable.

"Raphael isn't who he says he is."

It takes a minute before she smiles and shakes her head. I must of missed the joke because I'm sure as hell not laughing. Nothing about this is funny and if she thinks I'm joking I might just have to smack some sense into her.

"What's funny!"

She backs up with he arms out, "Woah, there tiger."

"Avery, I'm being serious."

"I know," she shakes her head with a chuckle. "I'm surprised it took you this long to figure it out."

"What?"