Chapter 23 The War is Won

All the gates had been reinforced and orcs were trying to break in. So far, we were holding them. Gandalf was helping with leading the battle, there was too much area to cover. I trusted his judgment, he had seen far many more battles than I. I was going off of what I knew would happen and some common sense. I had sent word to Theoden to attack the second group from behind. I hoped he would understand the message once the time came.

Attacking an oliphant head-on made no sense. Faramir insisted that I at least carry a horn with me since I refused to wear anything heavier than chainmail.  The battle raged outside the walls but it had yet to come in. Denethor's mind continued to slip. Pippin was trying to keep him away from the battle for me. Last thing I needed was to watch over some old man who didn't have his wits about him. Pippin knew enough to stay inside the city walls. I also had guards showing him some basic things.

I knew I couldn't keep the fight from him. "My Lady, they're at the front gate, they have a larger battering ram," one of the head guards said as I looked over the wall.

"Grond," I muttered. "Take some archers with you and place them high, trolls come through that gate. Get your guard and Sirend's as well. We'll meet them at the gate." I left my post and the guard left to gather the troops I had asked for, about forty of us would be at the gate and another fifteen archers. If my timeline was right, by dawn Theodon should be here. A lot was going to go to the pits by then.

Orcs started flooding the city, trolls pushed towers towards the walls which the archers tried to kill but some of the towers still reached us. Orcs, trolls, and wargs filled the city as the sun rose. I could hear Gandalf shouting orders to get to the second level. I was higher up and fighting a group, trying to keeping them from breaching further. That's when I heard the horn of Rohan. All the orcs looked to the field.

I took the distraction and killed those in front of me. It was about damn time help showed up. The Cidital was about to be breached. Now, where was dad with that ghost army? The battle outside the walls continued and so it did inside the walls. I knew the men were getting tired. This had been going on for far too long. It was time Gondor knew peace. I heard the oliphants approach but stayed focused as I was facing a group of fifteen orcs on my own.

"My lady, the city is breached, we must fall back," Faramir said.

"Fall back to the second level, don't let them get past the third. If we lose the third the women and children will be in danger," I said continuing to fight. I saw black ships coming up the river to the docks. "More help has arrived. We don't have to hold them much longer Captain." I went back to the fight once again losing track of time.

Before I knew it a sea of green washed over the city leaving a trail of dead orcs behind them. The war of Gondor was over. We were so close to having peace. I found my dad as he was releasing the army of the dead. Once they were gone everyone started looking through the dead to find their loved ones. The night was going to be a long one.