9

Billy's presence barely registered in Nancy and Jonathan's minds. The two argued with Steve, trying to figure out their next moves. Nancy suddenly broke away from the group, moving towards the building. "The power's back." Jonathan stared at her for a moment, before quickly going to the booth. He pressed the button operating the gate, to no avail. Dustin joined him, insisting he'd get it to work. The gate didn't move.

Minutes passed, and the gate slid open. "I got it, I got it!" Dustin exclaimed. Without waiting a second longer, Jonathan and Nancy got in the car. Jonathan slammed on the gas, smoke coming from the back tires.

Steve sighed, turning around. He leaned against the booth. The kids watched the car speed off. Billy's eyes lingered on Steve, before he sat beside him. "Now what?" he asked.

Steve stared ahead of him, shaking his head slightly, "I guess we wait."

Billy watched the kids, nonchalantly placing his hand on the ledge between them. Part of him hoped Steve wouldn't realize, to keep things easy. But when Steve's fingers brushed against his, a warm feeling blossomed in his chest. He couldn't help but grin a bit. When he looked beside him, he saw the same mirrored on Steve's face.

The hum of a car grew. Soon, the Byers' car ripped past them. Billy watched it peel out of the lot. His head snapped back forward when Hopper said, "Get in."

He was the last to climb into the car, taking the front seat. Hopper wasted no time driving off. As his headlights bounced off the road in front of them, Hopper glanced between Billy and the road ahead. There was no doubt in Billy's mind that Hopper had heard of Billy and the problems he'd brought to Hawkins High.

Billy sank deeper into his seat, attempting to let the attention fade. They eventually pulled up to a squat house in the woods. They all climbed out, the kids running inside after Jonathan. Steve got out, his limp still apparent. He clenched his jaw at the pain, willing it away. Billy couldn't watch. He stepped towards Steve, catching him as his leg gave in.

"Hey," Steve said, with a bite in his voice.

"Just let me help," Billy said softly.

Steve swallowed and nodded gently. Billy's arm went around Steve's torso, as Steve's arm went across his shoulders. They slowly made their way inside. Jonathan was hunched over a kid on the couch, speaking quietly.

Steve and Billy moved towards the old dining table. Steve sat in a sagging chair, slumping into it. Nancy sat beside Jonathan, her hand on his shoulder. Hopper stood beside the phone, fuming. "We just left the lab....Dr. Sam Owens," he said into the receiver. Billy stood behind Steve's chair, watching Mike pace back and forth. Hopper hung up, turning to Mike. "We'll see."

"'We'll see'? We can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

"We stay here, and we wait for help," Hopper firmly said. He walked to the living room, knocking softly on Joyce's door. He stepped inside, disappearing from Billy's sight.

Mike continued to pace, "They're gonna kill others, we can't wait around," he mumbled to himself.

"Hey, we all know what's in there, and we know that we can't take them all. It's better for everyone to stay put." Max said.

Mike glared at her, "You weren't there. El took them."

"El's not here, jackass," Lucas said.

"Yeah, and there's a shit ton now," Steve added.

"An army," Dustin said.

Mike processed for a moment, before saying "His army. It's his army. Maybe if we can stop him, we can stop his army too."