10

Billy finished his cigarette and went back inside. Mike had disappeared into the shed. They'd made progress, able to decipher a message from Will. Billy walked to the worn couch and sat down. As he settled, a roaring erupted in the distance. They looked up, Dustin muttering, "That's not good."

The group from the shed came inside, Jonathan carrying Will. "They're coming," Mike said.

Hopper came through the back door, wielding a shotgun. He picked two others up inside. "Hey, get away from the windows!" he shouted at the kids peering outside.

He spoke to Jonathan, "Can you use this?" referencing the shotgun.

Jonathan stuttering, and Nancy cut him off. "I can," she said, catching the gun.

Hopper looked around at the group, pursing his lips for a second before tossing the second gun to Billy. Steve twirled his bat, planting his feet and placing his weight on his good leg.

Billy cocked the gun as everyone stared at the front door in anticipation. The monsters screeched again. "Where are they?!" Max shouted in fear. Billy stepped in front of Max, attempting to shield her from whatever was through the door.

The monsters growled from multiple directions. "What're they doing?" Nancy asked. Nobody responded as they watched the bushes rustle.

Another snarled, closer to the house than before. Billy trained the barrel through the window, tracing any movement. He shifted back and forth on his feet.

The growls continued, the distance getting shorter. Suddenly, they stopped. Billy listened through the labored breathing of the group, trying to hear the monsters.

The front window shattered as the body of a demo-dog flew into the living room. Billy unloaded a shot in surprise, hitting the wall. The group had jumped back, a few screaming.

Hopper slowly approached the body, keeping his gun trained on the head. "Holy shit," Dustin said.

"Is it dead?" Max asked.

Hopper's boot nudged the limp body. He lowered his gun slightly.

A creak from the door caused them to raise their guard again. The lock snapped back, and the chain fell. The door swung open, revealing a girl standing on the other side.

The group stared in shock. Billy glanced between their faces, still in the dark about the girl. Mike stepped forward and they fell into each others' arms.

"Is that..." Max trailed.

A fight erupted between Hopper and Mike, and they went into another room. Dustin and Lucas wrapped their arms around the girl, smiles beaming.

When they parted, the girl put her hand up to Dustin's mouth, muttering, "Teeth."

"What?"

"You have teeth," she said.

"Oh, you like these pearls?" Dustin asked grinning.

"Eleven?" Max asked.

Billy looked at Steve, "Is her name Eleven?"

Steve nodded, "El."

After the greeting period was over, they began to formulate a plan again. They came to the conclusion El would be able to close the gate, ending everything.

Will was taken to Hopper's house, as they attempted to rid his body of the Mind Flayer. El and Hopper went to the gate.

Billy, Steve, and the remaining kids stayed at the Byers house.