✶ chapter five

Any nerves he had before the match disappeared once the whistle pierced the air.

Aiden passed the ball back to Joel, waiting behind him, and the rest of their team dispersed across the rest of the field, falling into position.

The air was sharp and crisp, but the lingering warmth from the summer made it ideal weather for a game. Most of the onlookers in the stands wore thin shirts, their murmurs of excitement reaching him on the grass. Turning to the left, Coach stood next to the bench of players—mostly freshmen who would eventually get their chance—his clipboard abandoned, his arms crossed over his chest.

Aiden turned as Joel passed the ball back in an attempt to move up the field, and it felt like the match had finally begun.

It took at least ten minutes for the team to fall into the rhythm of playing together. Their opponents pressed hard in the beginning, and finding the necessary space for the perfect pass was challenging. From his position so far up the pitch, Aiden wasn't called to do much those first few minutes. The ball never managed to reach him, so he was left to observe for the most part.

Unconsciously, his focus landed more on Gabriel. The first five minutes were rough for him, with awkward stumbling and hurried pass-backs, and Aiden wondered if Coach had been wrong. But all it took for the midfielder to regain his confidence was a simply nutmeg, and he started the rush up the field.

After that, it became hard for Aiden to take his eyes off him. There was an ounce of guilt in that he wasn't paying nearly as much attention to the rest of the team, but he wanted to see what Coach had found so special about him—what made Coach trust in his abilities so much.

And he could see it.

A few times, a player would go in for the tackle, and Aiden would expect Gabriel to lose the ball. But he never did. He seemed to welcome the pressure, twisting and turning around the opponent to create the space he needed, before driving the ball forward.

Coach was right. He was creative. Sharp.

Briarcliff went on the attack more towards the end of the first half once the chemistry had been worked out. Two minutes before the first half was due to end, Aiden was high up the field, in line with the last defender. He had been caught off-side twice already, running forward all wrong, and he already knew Coach would bring it up in the dressing room.

Joel searched for him, the ball poised in front of him, but he passed it off to the right as a defender surged forward. Gabriel moved to receive the pass, and all he needed was a second of eye contact to know that the ball was meant for him. Aiden stormed forward as Gabriel drove a through-ball between the opposing left-back and center-back.

He was faster and lighter on his feet, but one of the defenders kicked it out for a corner before he could finish the pass into the box.

"Damn it," he muttered to himself, wriggling his fingers as he moved into position for the corner.

When the ball was shot in from the corner, the tallest players on their team were called for the set-piece. A few hurried over, including Owen, who immediately had a defender following his every move.

Gabriel was the one who prepared to take the corner kick. He positioned himself from the ball in an unusual angle, and Aiden remembered with satisfaction that he had suspected Gabriel was left-footed. Pleased with himself, he almost forgot where he was until Gabriel raised his arm in the air, signaling that he was ready.

The second Gabriel's foot swung to meet the rubber, Aiden knew it was a perfect cross. The ball arched into the box at a dangerous curve, and his heart stuttered as everyone swarmed towards it. He swept past the defenders and held his breath as he leaped into the air.