✶ chapter ten

Aiden had forgotten about his plans with Gabriel by the time his phone buzzed with an incoming message. It appeared in their private chat, and he absentmindedly swiped across the screen to view it while munching on an apple.

Gabriel Martínez (2:51 PM): still down to run today? i'm free now :)

Aiden winced. The two had discussed running today. Somehow, life kept getting in the way, and their plans continued being postponed. It didn't affect either of them that much considering their two games a week combined with several practices interspersed between was enough to exhaust them, but being with Gabriel at practice was different from being with Gabriel without an audience. The midfielder was more chatty, and Aiden liked listening.

But his mother had called him an hour ago to ask if he was available to referee Hannah's soccer game later on, as the original referee had had a family emergency, and there was no way he could be in two places at once.

Raincheck then.

Aiden Collins (2:54 PM): i'm sorry, but going to have to take a raincheck. again. sorry. i'm refereeing at my sister's soccer game, and i have to leave soon.

Gabriel Martínez (2:55 PM): no worries! that sounds really cool actually.

Another message followed.

Gabriel Martínez (2:56 PM): can i come?

This wasn't going to be a typical game, but Aiden didn't know how to tell Gabriel that. Most of the players—if not all—were on the spectrum, and the rules were very loose. It was why Megan had called him. He was patient and kind, and he didn't have to study any rules and regulations, having known them all since he was a kid. He was the perfect back-up.

If Gabriel was an intolerant asshole about it, he wouldn't hesitate to cut Gabriel off. And the thought of losing Gabriel frightened him—even though they'd only known each other for a few weeks now.

Aiden Collins (2:57 PM): if you want. i can pick you up. you're at miller's?

Gabriel Martínez (2:57 PM): yup!!

Aiden Collins (2:57 PM): see you in a bit then.

The drive to Highpoint had been manageable, the highways free of traffic as the sun burned the streets below

The drive to Highpoint had been manageable, the highways free of traffic as the sun burned the streets below. By the time they would return to Briarcliff University, they could expect the drive to be twice as long between all of the people rushing home from work. But it had been peaceful, with Gabriel controlling the music and chatting about Atlético's game over the weekend.

A calm and experienced driver, Aiden had easily balanced the conversation while keeping his attention ahead, and even Gabriel's rant about how "Waka Waka" was the superior World Cup song hadn't distracted him from the task at hand. (In his defense, he'd put a strong argument forward for "Wavin' Flag".)