chapter one: the first dance

disclaimer: this story is completely fictional, so some details might not be exactly correct :) 

also, i'm kinda sucky at writing, and fairly new to the fandom, so i apologize in advance for any errors. i'm open for constructive criticism, so let me know any ways i can improve <3 

thank you so much for reading, and i hope you enjoy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mom, I already told you," I mumble, staring at the counter in front of me, "I don't want to go to dance today. I don't feel good."

She looks me up and down before replying, a sigh escaping her lips. "Kaycee, you're fine. For the love of god, it will do you some good to get out of the house. We moved a week ago and you haven't gone ANYWHERE."

She's not lying. We moved to LA a week ago so that I could pursue dance, and yet... I haven't danced once. Before the move, I would do nothing but talk about LA - what classes I was going to take, who I was excited to meet, where I wanted to go. Heck, I even planned my outfit for my first masterclass. But here I was, a week after arriving in LA, having done NONE of what I thought I would within a matter of days.

Truthfully, I was nervous. What was a girl from the middle of nowhere doing in LA? Why did I ever think I had a chance at making it, especially here?

When I don't answer, my mom's expression goes from serious to concerned. "Honey, you have no reason to be nervous," she says. I look up, slightly startled. I don't know why - I swear, my mother can always read my mind.

"I... okay," I say, "Yeah, I'm nervous. But..."

"'But' nothing! I signed you up for a masterclass today, and you're going!" I start to protest, but she cuts me off before I can form any reply, "Kaycee! We moved across the country to help you pursue dance, but I'm happy to move right back if you want..." my mom says, a slight smirk on her face. My face heats up as panic bubbles in my chest.

"Nononononononono!" I yell, cutting her off, "I'll go, I'll go." All of the nerves in my chest dissipate at the thought of giving up on my dream so soon, replaced by panic and fear. My mom hardly backs down on her word.

"Good. We leave in 5 minutes," she replies.

"Oh shoot!" I exclaim. I jump off of my chair at the kitchen counter and run up to my room before throwing on some dance-wear. I grab my bag and run down the stairs. Here we go.

~one car ride later~

As we pull up to the building, the nerves I shoved away earlier resurface. My mom turns to me as she comes to a stop. "You'll be great, sweetie. I love you," she says. I smile and nod before heading into the building.

I open the doors and am greeted by a pleasant blast of cool air. "Ahhh," I murmur, a sigh escaping from my lips. I close my eyes, enjoying the break from the warm LA sun before my class starts.

"Excuse me, how can I help you?" a voice says. My eyes blink open and I look at the source of the voice - a woman sits behind the desk, a smile on her face and a questioning look in her eyes.

"Oh, yeah, sorry!" I reply, "I'm here for a masterclass..." I drift off, slightly embarrassed and flustered. I'm extremely introverted around people I don't know, and it's definitely showing in this situation. Luckily, the lady behind the desk seems to be unbothered.

"Wonderful! I'm assuming you're here for the Willdabeast masterclass," she says. I nod as she continues, "Alright! I'll just have you sign in here and then you can head into the studio. You'll be down the hall." She smiles as I check off my name on the list of dancers already there. I don't bother to scan it for familiar names - I already know that I don't know anyone here. It makes me more nervous and excited at the same time.