chapter five: questions

If you would have told me a week ago that I would be sitting across from Sean Lew in a Jamba Juice while he shared stories about his childhood, I would have laughed in your face and told you that you must have been hallucinating.

But here I am, smoothie in hand, smiling and laughing as he shows me picture after picture of his baby self.

After class had ended, Sean invited me to go to Jamba with him, saying he needed to ask me something important. I accepted the offer and followed him as he left the studio, saying goodbye to Janelle on the way out. She had flashed me another smile and I couldn't miss the glance between myself and Sean that came with it. It looked so... supportive. And prideful. Like a silent word of approval. It eased my nerves slightly then, but now that we're alone, the butterflies return.

"So, you said you had something to ask me?" I question nervously. Sean looks up from his phone and smiles. He takes a sip of his smoothie and sets his phone on the table before continuing.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry, just wanted to break the ice a little," he replies, "I know we just met and all, but... could we be friends? Or is this too fast...". He trails off, clearly a little nervous.

Why? Doesn't everyone want to be his friend?

When I don't answer him right away, he looks away. "I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked... I mean, we've only known each other for a few days, and..." he begins, but I cut him off, my internal voice answering the question before I can even voice my feelings (that are NOT crush related).

Friends? With Sean Lew? A million time yes.

"No! You're all good!" I exclaim, "I was just daydreaming. Of course we can be friends.". I smile at him and watch his expression soften and his confidence return. It's reassuring, and I can't help but laugh slightly as I remind myself of why we're here in the first place.

"Is that what you wanted to ask me? Because I feel like going to Jamba is kinda fancy for you to tell me you wanted to be my friend," I laugh. Almost like a date... But THAT would be moving too fast.

He rolls his eyes and smiles. "No! Although that would have been funny," he says, "I actually brought you here to ask if you wanted to work on a concept video with me.". My eyes widen as I take in his words.

Me? Why?

"I... I'm flattered," I stutter, unable to fully speak through my shock, "I... just... we've only danced together twice... and I'm sure there are plenty of other people that would be better. People with more experience, that have danced with you more, that are as talented as you...". I start to ramble, my brain quickly running through the list of all of the reasons I'm not the right person to ask. Sean stays silent and lets me finish.

I can't quite meet his gaze, slowly shrinking into myself as I continue talking. Tears prick my eyes as my brain reminds me of every insecurity, forcing me to silence.

It's probably a joke. A dare, or something his friends asked him to do. He would never pick me seriously. I'm from nowhere special, I'm not as famous, I'm not good enough.

Noticing the silence that has fallen around us, I look up to find a playful smirk on his face. It doesn't match the concern in his eyes. "You okay?" he asks. I nod slowly and wipe my eyes as he continues, "I... Kaycee, I wouldn't have asked you if I thought you couldn't do it.". A more reassuring sentence has never been spoken. The deep breath he takes a deep breath before he speaks again, "And... and there's this feeling when we dance. I don't feel it with anyone else. And... I think that it's special and I want to see where it's gonna take us.".

He feels it too? Oh my god.

I move to duck my head again, my ever-present blush painting my cheeks again. But his fingers find my chin and he tilts my head up so I meet his gaze.

"Seriously. You're amazingly talented and I think this could be really good for both of us," he says softly, "but you don't have to if you don't want to. I'd understand.". I take a shaky breath before answering the question behind his eyes.

"I... yes. Yes," I reply. He drops his hand and I release a breath I didn't know I was holding, "We should try it. You're right, who knows what could happen.". I smile again, and so does he.

"Great! I... thank you so much," he says. My cheeks heat up and I nod. He continues, "Well... when do you want to start? I have a studio in my garage, so we can start whenever you're free.".

"Let me check," I reply. I look down at my phone to see that it's already almost 2:00. And... I promised my mom I would be home at 2:00.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I... I told my mom I'd be home at two, and now I don't have a ride..." I blurt. I shove my phone in my dance bag, standing up quickly. I look back at Sean before continuing, "We can start soon, definitely. I'm sorry to cut this short, but I have to figure out how to get home.".

"I can take you if you want," he says. This boy is too generous. He offers me a part in his concept video and now a ride home? If kind was personified, it'd be him.

"Oh... okay. You don't have to. I don't want to be an inconvenience," I reply. He shakes his head.

"I'm the inconvenience here - distracting you from getting a ride, making you almost late for when you have be home. Please, let me drive you. It's the least I can do.". The look of desperation on his face convinces me immediately.

"Okay, okay. You don't have to feel bad," I reply, giving him the most caring and genuine smile I can. He relaxes and picks up his smoothie and keys. I follow him through the door of the building, replaying the conversation in my head.

Maybe this move to LA will be even better than I thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this ending is terrible... i was so stuck and couldn't think of anything better, so...

anyways, i'm back! i apologize for the brief hiatus in updates - swim got really busy and it was hard for me to find a time to sit down and write. this is short and kinda bad, but i hope you enjoy nevertheless :)

also, i wanted to say thank you so so SO much for over 500 reads. the support this has gotten has been so inspiring and uplifting, and i couldn't thank you all enough. much love ~ellie <3

edit: oh. my. gosh. i cannot believe this has been read 1,000 times, as well as it getting more than 50 votes! thank you so so so much for taking the time to read my work! it means so much to me, more than i can put down in words <3 a new update should be coming out soon :) i love you all so much

word count: 1081