Prologue

1818

London, England

Daisy took a deep breath, trying to calm her rapidly fraying nerves.

"It will be fine. You are going to take London by storm," she whispered to herself.

"What was that?" asked her first cousin Luke who had been assigned the behemoth task of accompanying her to her first-ever entry into London's noble society or as they liked to refer to themselves-the ton.

"It is nothing." She did not know how she felt about Luke. She did not dislike him precisely but he had barely spoken with her since her arrival. Daisy supposed she couldn't very well blame the man. They had not met each other since they were children and here he was, being forced to take her to her grand debut.

"I will be there with you the entire time," Luke murmured, still not looking at her. But he squeezed her palm reassuringly.

Daisy beamed up at her cousin. She supposed Luke was not as indifferent as she had assumed. And it did not look like he disliked her. Maybe he even had some affection for her, she thought, toying with the edge of her glove.

Her inner musings were rudely interrupted when a butler announced their entry.

"The Lord Lucas Arlington, Marquess of Dalhousie and Lady Daisy Arlington of Chesapeake colonies."

Her back instantly straightened a bit more as she plastered a serene expression on her face, desperately trying to hide how sceptical she was. Daisy looked at what seemed to be a sea of majestically dressed Lords and Ladies, her eyes widening unbeknownst to her to take in the scene. She supposed she would fit in though, her aunt had made sure of it. Although she was accustomed to wearing grand gowns back home, the way the gentry in Chesapeake dressed-even for balls was more subtle.

What she wore today was definitely the grandest gown she had ever worn. It was a mauve silk gown, the skirts covered with a layer of gauze. The sparse bodice had been embellished with hundreds of tiny flowers made with lace and beads, the sleeves had been trimmed with the same kind of lace. She wore gloves made of the finest satin that went all the way up to her elbows. As for her hair, it had been done up in a style that was preferred by most ladies of the ton, but her maid had softened the look by leaving a few curls to frame her face. Aunt Gracie had assured her that she looked resplendent and even Lucas had gruffly told her that she looked well. Still, Daisy felt just a little out of place. Although she was hardly a tall woman, a quick perusal of the ballroom told her that she would not be considered dainty, as was fashionable among the nobs.

She was about to say something to her cousin but he beat her to it.

"We will make rounds and I shall introduce you to all and sundry. Special attention will be given to the eligible bachelors who will make you suitable husbands and you are expected to get them to propose to you as fast as you possibly can so that I never have to set foot in a London ballroom ever again," Luke rumbled from beside her.

"I will do my best," Daisy responded solemnly, although a smile tugged at her lips. Not that she had any intention of following through with his instructions. She would find a husband, yes, but she fully intended on taking her own sweet time about it. "I appreciate you coming with me, Luke. I know you hate this."

He looked at her questioningly.

"Aunt Gracie mentioned it," she explained, referring to his mother.